Chicken Breed Focus Manx Rumpy

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Manx Rumpy, also known as the Rumpless Game, or Persian Rumpless, is a British breed of chicken, thought to be originating from the Isle of Man. Like the Araucana and Barbu d'Everberg breeds, the Manx Rumpy lacks the uropygium, from which the tail grows.

There is no evidence that the British breed has ever been imported to the United States. In 1958 some tail-less birds of Iranian origin were crossed with other breeds to produce an approximation of the British type, and the name "Manx Rumpy" applied to them. The Livestock Conservancy recommended that these be called "Persian Rumpless". They are not recognised by the APA. The Manx Rumpies are good layers of brown eggs, and may also occasionally lay white, blue, or green eggs. They are excellent free range birds and the hens are fair broodies.

Details:

Purpose: Dual purpose
Egg size: Medium
Egg colour: White, blue, green, tinted.
Weight: Male - 5-6 lbs; Female 4-5 lbs

Pic by @SilverPhoenix

Pic by @cashdl

Pic by @cashdl

Pic by @Eggsalad

Pic by @Eggsalad

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/460583/manx-rumpies/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/284583/manx-rumpies/0_30

Do you own Manx Rumpies? Are you a Manx Rumpy breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I always read your articles and enjoy them.
I'm wondering if anyone knows of the heat hardiness of these, or, because of where they originate, if it's not been tested?
I'm always interested in good layers of coloured eggs that can forage and are heat hardy.

We live in Texas where temperatures reach over 100 F in the summer, my Americauna's (laying blue and green tinted eggs) are the only ones that laid all summer long without any break. All my other chickens stopped. Americauna's are easy to find too, I've never seen this breed at the feed store however they are adorable! I've also never shipped chicks so there is that
tongue.png

Online sources say that Manx rumpless chickens have a different gene than Araucanas in producing rumpless birds. I know that Araucanas have the dominant gene while Manx is recessive, but I've been reading mixed answers for Manx. I would love to hear from anyone who has bred an Araucana and Manx together for the rumpless trait and what the resulting offspring looked like.

I got one as a packing peanut from a Sandhill Preservation Center order.

Nice looking bird. I had thought about ordering some of these from them.

According to this though the ones that Sand Hill sell should be the Persian Rumpless. Either way though, I may one day break down and order some of these.

Back
Top Bottom