11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this considered shelf liner? I just never realized what messy business hatching was until my first hatch last month so I want to eliminate having to clean through the net floor that came with the incubator. Or does the shelf liner have to have holes for ventilation and stuff?
View attachment 2077716

I use the shelf liner with grip and holes.

no-skid shelf liner (2).JPG

Is this considered shelf liner? I just never realized what messy business hatching was until my first hatch last month so I want to eliminate having to clean through the net floor that came with the incubator. Or does the shelf liner have to have holes for ventilation and stuff?
View attachment 2077716

My only worry about this would be if it's slippery. I am probably overly cautious, but worry about splayed leg.

I love Celadon quail eggs! I'm planning to hatch some eventually this year.

They are gorgeous! Have you had any before?
I lucked out and found someone somewhat local who has been working on upping their percentage of offspring that lay blue, and has them around 50-60% right now, so I’m getting a couple dozen eggs and hoping I end up with a reasonable amount of blue layers to start with. If not, theoretically they all will carry the ce gene, so I’ll be able to occupy myself this summer by working on them. I’m excited!

Last edited:
Looking ahead to lockdown, I have some questions about the Incuview incubator...

The incubator manual says to leave the turning tray in for hatching. Is it better to leave it in or take it out?

Do I leave the vent open, or close it during lockdown?

I read on a BYC thread to put shelf liner in the bottom of the incubator for hatching. Has anyone tried this? Is it a good idea?

Thanks for the help!
I use the nubbly, rubbery shelf paper and, while you CAN take out the turner, you wouldn't have to. I think it would be hard to use the shelf paper if you didn't, though. If you leave the turner in, the babies won't be able to knock the unhatched eggs around as much. 😂 I don't think that hurts the unhatched and may spur them on to try harder, but some folks are bothered by it and maybe they're right. Just as likely them right as me.

People do use paper towels. The Incuview (as you're aware) uses plastic embroidery canvas as its floor. I don't know whether that's much more slippery than paper towels or not. I don't see any reason to take a chance. I like the shelf liner because it seems like it would provide a good surface and also, it's easy to rinse off. Once the hatch is done I put the incubator parts (minus the top of course) and the well-rinsed shelf liner on the top shelf of my dishwasher and wash with detergent on the gentle cycle, no dry, in case the heat would be too much.

Oh yes... be very careful of the turner arm once you take out the turner tray. It could crack eggs that roll into the wrong place.

They are gorgeous! Have you had any before?
I lucked out and found someone somewhat local who has been working on upping their percentage of offspring that lay blue, and has them around 50-60% right now, so I’m getting a couple dozen eggs and hoping I end up with a reasonable amount of blue layers to start with. If not, theoretically they all will carry the ce gene, so I’ll be able to occupy myself this summer by working on them. I’m excited!

I haven't yet but I've been eyeing those beauties for a while now. I believe I will be ordering them from a breeder on the west coast even though it's further shipping he supposedly has very stable blue egg genetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom