11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow is lockdown day!! So excited to see which ones hatch!!

Tomorrow is the last day I will be weighing them.

I want to hatch some of my favorite rooster’s chicks, but I recently removed my leghorn from among them to ensure all the fertilized eggs will be from my favorite one. Is 2 weeks good enough time?

Just pulled 4 infertile eggs. This is my first hatch using my own flock’s eggs & they all have a beautiful heavy bloom. But wow are they hard to candle. I know I kept them in the incubator longer than I normally would have, but I am nervous to pull them. I still have 3 of my Marans eggs in there that I suspect are duds too. How do you all deal with candling Marans eggs? Just hope for the best?

I candle at night with all lights off and use a small pocket sized high lumen flashlight to candle them. They're a bit like candling rocks but you should be able to see something between day 12-15. I always do the sniff test before putting them back in the incubator if I'm unsure to make sure I'm not putting a stinker in there. lol

Here are some examples of candling dark Marans eggs.

7-28-19 (4-2).jpg
8-3-19 (2-2).jpg
3-28-20 Marans Day 14.jpg

I candle at night with all lights off and use a small pocket sized high lumen flashlight to candle them. They're a bit like candling rocks but you should be able to see something between day 12-15. I always do the sniff test before putting them back in the incubator if I'm unsure to make sure I'm not putting a stinker in there. lol

Here are some examples of candling dark Marans eggs.

View attachment 2078743View attachment 2078744View attachment 2078742
Great photos! I think I need to invest in a better light to candle with. I have been giving them the sniff test and hoping for the best. I suspect most are infertile. I think my roosters are knocking each other off in dominance & not getting the job done. :he

Great photos! I think I need to invest in a better light to candle with. I have been giving them the sniff test and hoping for the best. I suspect most are infertile. I think my roosters are knocking each other off in dominance & not getting the job done. :he

Thanks! A 1200-1300 lumen small sized flashlight is indispensable to me when hatching. Best $30 I've ever spent! Don't lose hope though! I've hatched plenty of eggs that I put a question mark on because I wasn't sure about them, lol. I have a "?" baby on lockdown right now!

Tomorrow is lockdown day!! So excited to see which ones hatch!!

Tomorrow is the last day I will be weighing them.

I want to hatch some of my favorite rooster’s chicks, but I recently removed my leghorn from among them to ensure all the fertilized eggs will be from my favorite one. Is 2 weeks good enough time?
Two weeks is the usually cited cut-off date. Be careful of adding your favorite boy into a confined space with more than 2-3 hens he hasn't been in with. Just because he's a boy, doesn't mean they won't eat him. It's probably best to put him in first, along with maybe one girl or two, then add them a couple at a time up to five or six or less. More than that and you might not get good fertility.

Two weeks is the usually cited cut-off date. Be careful of adding your favorite boy into a confined space with more than 2-3 hens he hasn't been in with. Just because he's a boy, doesn't mean they won't eat him. It's probably best to put him in first, along with maybe one girl or two, then add them a couple at a time up to five or six or less. More than that and you might not get good fertility.

Oh he’s been with the girls for a month now. I had two roosters with 7 hens, but they seemed to have a favorite and I saw her head/neck was bald, so I removed my leghorn since I don’t want small chickens for food 😂

I’ll have to keep an eye on him to see if he even mates all 7 now. He’s an older rooster, he was a rescue from the street but I’m pretty sure he’s pretty old at least 2-3 years. His spurs are pretty large now but when we found him they had been either cut off or filed off.

Thanks! A 1200-1300 lumen small sized flashlight is indispensable to me when hatching. Best $30 I've ever spent! Don't lose hope though! I've hatched plenty of eggs that I put a question mark on because I wasn't sure about them, lol. I have a "?" baby on lockdown right now!
Exciting!
:fl I hope to see “?” in pictures once it hatches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom