11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the messages about adding shelf paper to the incubator to prevent leg problems. Could someone let me know if this type (in pictures) would be okay? It has rather large holes, it feels rubbery to the touch. Bought it for the kitchen awhile back and it hadn't yet made it out of the package😁. View attachment 2078831View attachment 2078832

Yep, that will work! I typically buy the thinner stuff just because it's less expensive but a little extra padding isn't going to hurt anything!

Yep, that will work! I typically buy the thinner stuff just because it's less expensive but a little extra padding isn't going to hurt anything!

Okay, that's good. Since I haven't had this in since the start I would also like to know is it safe to insert this tomorrow when I take the turner piece out of the incubator. I think the eggs would be out for a minute or two. I know the hen gets off the eggs etc...I'm just a nervous first time incubator user!

Exciting!
:fl I hope to see “?” in pictures once it hatches.

It was developing when I checked back on it so I guess it's technically not a question mark anymore, lol, but it was one of those moments I was glad I didn't toss out the seemingly dud egg. Fingers crossed they all hatch!

Now that I can finally talk about the numbers since the "how many eggs will be set" contest is over, lol. I set 18 eggs and 7 are in lockdown. Lots of infertile eggs but I'm not going to talk to the breeder about it until after hatch so I at least can send her a good news/bad news message. lol
- 12 Silkied Bantam Cochins (3 infertile, 3 quitters) 6 in lockdown.
- 6 regular bantam Cochins (5 infertile) 1 in lockdown.

The Ameraucana eggs that I set a few days later are doing fantastic! I set 27, 1 infertile and 1 quitter. So I will have 25 going into lockdown in a couple days! :love

4-5-20 (1).jpg

3-22-20 (3).JPG

Last edited:
Okay, that's good. Since I haven't had this in since the start I would also like to know is it safe to insert this tomorrow when I take the turner piece out of the incubator. I think the eggs would be out for a minute or two. I know the hen gets off the eggs etc...I'm just a nervous first time incubator user!

Yes, that's perfectly fine. I don't put the liner in until lockdown. It would get in the way of most turners.

I read the messages about adding shelf paper to the incubator to prevent leg problems. Could someone let me know if this type (in pictures) would be okay? It has rather large holes, it feels rubbery to the touch. Bought it for the kitchen awhile back and it hadn't yet made it out of the package😁. View attachment 2078831View attachment 2078832
is nice that you had this on hand! It is perfect

Last call for 11th Annual EHAL - Contest #2: Farthest Shipped Eggs . If your name is not on here, you are not entered, so let me know if I missed you. If the information here is incorrect, please let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!

MemberEggs Shipped FromEggs Shipped to
@BirdsBeesTreesLittlefork, MinnesotaIowa 50238
@BirdsBeesTreesFordland, MissouriIowa 50238
@BirdsBeesTreesJacksonville, FloridaIowa 50238
@BirdsBeesTreesCleveland, TexasIowa 50238
@Jules929Spirit Lake, ID 83869Lakeland, FL 33810
@MPchicksPolk, OhioMt Pleasant, UT
@Logan_TubergPine Hall, NCDeer Trail, Co
@kelseykFlat Rock, AL 35966Imperial, NE 69033
@juliasflockMidway, FL 32343Oshkosh, WI 54901

Last edited:
Not sure where to report our set- we set 7 eggs for the HAL (developing nicely), then we had a strange thing happen and we've had no internet until now. Two doves landed on a transformer of one of the utility poles that run along our property and the transformer exploded. Nobody was hurt and the fire didn't spread further than the pole. Our daughter was home and called 9-1-1, then ran out while on the phone with me, and found a smoldering bird near the driveway. Next thing I heard was a her screetching about the poor bird and how it smells like BBQ'd chicken! Anyway, hope everyone is healthy and safe. Happy hatching! PJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom