11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long has it been running like this? It takes time for the humidity to rise if the water was cold when added.

I started it up about 7 PM yesterday with just the wells full. I opened it around 9 this morning to add the sponge in the plastic basket and topped off the wells and soaked the sponge with hot water.humidity has been dropping for a couple hours now at it's max it was 65%.

For chicken eggs. The hydrometer is one I pulled from my Hovabator that was spot on with my other hydrometer. This is my 4 year old farm innovators incubator that I just replaced with the Hovabator...I have always had trouble maintaining the humidity in it. In the past I have put the plugs back in to get it higher, but wonder if the lack of air circulation contributed to my lower hatch rates.
The will suffocate it there is not enough ventilation.

The fastest way to add water surface in an incubator is to use add a sponge in a container

Something like this:

1586561345072.png

For chicken eggs. The hydrometer is one I pulled from my Hovabator that was spot on with my other hydrometer. This is my 4 year old farm innovators incubator that I just replaced with the Hovabator...I have always had trouble maintaining the humidity in it. In the past I have put the plugs back in to get it higher, but wonder if the lack of air circulation contributed to my lower hatch rates.
Maybe as UThobby mentioned water being cold.
I like to run my incubator at 40 percent to start then 60 percent for lockdown. Super hard to control in the foam incubators though. The incubator I have now keeps the humidity for me. It is literally almost hands free.

The will suffocate it there is not enough ventilation.

The fastest way to add water surface in an incubator is to use add a sponge in a container

Something like this:

View attachment 2083879

Here is how I currently have it set up. I can definitely try swapping out the basket for a deeper container with more water. And here is the graph showing my temp and humidity in that incubator (hatcher) since I topped everything off this morning.

Attachments

• 20200410_173601.jpg
    20200410_173601.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20200410-173739_Govee Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20200410-173739_Govee Home.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 8
Maybe as UThobby mentioned water being cold.
I like to run my incubator at 40 percent to start then 60 percent for lockdown. Super hard to control in the foam incubators though. The incubator I have now keeps the humidity for me. It is literally almost hands free.

I replaced the incubator I am currently having problems with with a Hovabator....and even though the Hovabator is still styrofoam, it is night and day difference on how it holds temp and humidity to my old one! I am really starting to think I should just go buy an inexpensive still air incubator to use for a hatcher and chuck this farm innovators one.

I replaced the incubator I am currently having problems with with a Hovabator....and even though the Hovabator is still styrofoam, it is night and day difference on how it holds temp and humidity to my old one! I am really starting to think I should just go buy an inexpensive still air incubator to use for a hatcher and chuck this farm innovators one.
That’s what I tried to do. Now my lockdown incubator is full of eggs. Will be hatching in the better one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom