11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I’m hatching these for my husband’s aunt but she only wants 3-4 pullets so that’s why I’m hatching around 10-12 to up my chances of not only hatching chicks period but out of the ones that hatch hopefully a good handful will be females.
In that case I'd definitely hatch them all! It's so hard to pick a favorite, but I think I like the middle ones best 💚

In that case I'd definitely hatch them all! It's so hard to pick a favorite, but I think I like the middle ones best 💚

I do too! But since I’m already too close to set date I won’t have enough of just one color. But now I know for when I hatch OE chicks that I will be keeping to only pick the egg color I like best.

My kids and I are planning to hatch some chicken eggs, but I still need to order them and they will probably be here the week of the 23rd. So probably won't hatch before Easter, but shortly after. My daughter will be hatching Silkies, My son is hatching Appenzellars, and I will be hatching Bielefelders and Sapphire Gems. This will be our 3rd time hatching....still trying to learn tips and tricks to get better hatches.
That is great!

Good morning! :frow I'll be joining with a variety of chicken eggs. The amount is yet to be determined...it depends on how many I'll have collected and how many I can stuff in my incubator. :gig
The number will be determined by how many all the eggs are!

First time I realized I have 3 distinct colors for my Olive Eggers. I also noticed that they are not laying daily just by setting the dates and color coordinating them. Today I only got one Olive Egg 🥚 and I even checked in the evening and nothing.
If you were me would you hatch all or select certain colors only? If so, which ones?
View attachment 2055478
Since the rooster is a big contributor of egg shell and coating color, You cant really tell what you are going to get from the egg shell color. You might get hens that lay the prettiest eggs from the brown egg layers

So I think I have a broody hen...
YAY! Because yes I was wanted a broody hen for my chicks this year I will be keeping and wanted my chicks to have that nature hatch with a mommy — I live momma hens and babies 😊
The 18-19 eggs that I will be incubating on the 21st will be for some friends like I’ve said previously(again first time incubating eggs with an incubator)
But this is me and the mamma hen’s second year hatching with a broody hen.
I saw that she went into our second extra coop that has a secret nesting box cubby with some fake eggs in it and she was on there for more then half the day today.
.....although I may have bugged her looking for freshly laid eggs under her and she got up and left. But there is feathers from her under belly that she probably pulled out for broody time in the nest!
Also I didn’t mention that she screamed at me when I opened the lid of the box and looked under her.
I hope that she will get back to the broodyness so that I can put eggs under her on Saturday as well and have eggs hatch naturally and eggs from the incubator.
We will see how it goes.
I hope you get a bood broody Hen!

Broody escaping-chick-.gif

Since the rooster is a big contributor of egg shell and coating color, You cant really tell what you are going to get from the egg shell color. You might get hens that lay the prettiest eggs from the brown egg layers

Ohhh thanks for that!! I’ll have to ask my aunt-in-law (is that a thing? 😆) what color the OE she gets from me end up laying a few months from now.

Power company was trimming trees down the road and hit something. Power was out for an hour or so. I wrapped the incubator in bathroom rugs to try to retain warmth and thought... "what am I doing?" It got me thinking, what is the best way to handle incubating eggs during a power outage. How long is too long and what temp is too low? Any tips or tricks?

Power company was trimming trees down the road and hit something. Power was out for an hour or so. I wrapped the incubator in bathroom rugs to try to retain warmth and thought... "what am I doing?" It got me thinking, what is the best way to handle incubating eggs during a power outage. How long is too long and what temp is too low? Any tips or tricks?

I've read an article on the temp difference and number of fatalities at different temps. I'll see if I can find it again. What you did to keep the temps stable for longer is really what most of us do when the power goes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom