11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I'm gonna have to get me some of those! Though I'm prolly not gonna have any trouble telling the banty silkies from the lt brahma chicks...
I love silkies and brahmas! I just added another Brahma mix chick to my layer flock. Hopefully this one is a female. I have a brown one and a white one, but the white looks like a cockerel so I hatched more from a local farm. I got another white one so I'm hoping this one is a female.

Quick question... Separating breeds that will look alike at hatch... Ideas? I remember someone using a mesh bag, but I'm a little fuzzy on the details. (I'm using a Hovabator Genesis with only the one hatching area )

I usually use mesh laundry bags without an issue and if I have a lot of room, I'll use the dollar store baskets and just slip them inside the laundry bags.

I usually flip them the other way so they're over the eggs. They were like this because I had to hand turn the duck eggs for 7 more days.

You can kind of see in this pic how I have it flipped the other way.

View attachment 2048620
Ahhh... I see! Brilliant!
I've also seen people make custom sized separations out of the plastic with holes from craft stores...I think it's usually used for embroidery or something? But they just hot glue custom separations for their particular incubators.
Oh yeah! I think I even have some of that!
question - why the day before easter? why not on easter?
So you can get them all dressed up for pictures on Easter!

I have 10+ Light Brahma eggs arriving Thurs. (I hope.) Also a dozen+ silkie and silkie/cochin most likely making an appearance tomorrow, sooo I'll be starting too early for the HAL, But I just couldn't wait. :oops:

Anyway, I'll hang with ya'll and (hopefully) taunt you with my beautiful babies while you're still anxiously candling. :hugs
We both can taunt them because I put more in yesterday 😂 I'll put some in for Easter too. We have a waiting list of people wanting to buy them

I, too, could not wait and have eggs that should arrive tomorrow. :gig

But I'm still setting some for the EHAL, too. I might have to change what I'm setting because certain hens are being stubborn about certain things... but I'll still set something regardless. :barnie

Quick question... Separating breeds that will look alike at hatch... Ideas? I remember someone using a mesh bag, but I'm a little fuzzy on the details. (I'm using a Hovabator Genesis with only the one hatching area )

Great question! :pop I've been using cleaned / sanitized hardware cloth pieces zip tied together to construct walls that just sit in my incubators at lockdown, but my Silkie mixes and teeny-tiny OEGBs that I hatched last year were able to slip between them and the side of the incubator, so I'm going to have to figure something out for that.

I usually use mesh laundry bags without an issue and if I have a lot of room, I'll use the dollar store baskets and just slip them inside the laundry bags.
Should I separate the little silkie chicks from the big lumbering (comparatively speaking :lau ) brahma ones hatching together? For that, the egg carton wall sounds like it might work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom