11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I'll be the oddball. I love my GQF bators! I have a 1202 cabinet that works non-stop for me, pumping out chicks week after week and a rock solid Hova bator 2362E that I use as a hatcher that has never failed me yet! The Hova bator was my first incubator. I'll never get rid of that thing!
I don't know whether I could even sell chicks or poults here. There aren't any ads on Craig's List... or are people not using that any more?

I was lucky enough to receive my Brinsea mini ii advance from a dear friend as a gift ❤ I've seen people use the incuview with good results on BYC! I wan the nurture right more, though, because I can get it at TSC and that way I dont have to wait for shipping lol.
Incubator Warehouse (makers of Incuvue) ships pretty darned fast. One thing I really like about mine is the freedom to put eggs fairly close and make adjustment naturally for egg sizes. The nurture right looks like a great choice, though, and probably easier to use, with the external water fill option, especially. I got a syringe and tubing to add water through the vent hole for mine, but fillinf the inside chambers is tricky on a full (overfull) bater that way. I'd still have to open it AND need the tubeing to avoid wetting the eggs.

My husband is all for me setting as many eggs as I want as we see this tragedy happen to our world. He wants meat in the freezer and not from the grocery store 😁 I can make it happen!

We will be getting vegetable plants at Lowe's soon if possible because I'd rather eat my own food than walk into a grocery store. That's even when there's no craziness happening.

Before Wuhan flu, my DH was all, "You have too many birds." Now it's literally, "Don't kill any more roosters. We're gonna need more chicks for food. Chickens die just because sometimes. We can't be without roosters!" :lau He's actually happy I have eggs in the cooker now.:gigI'm gonna take this opportunity to buy more eggs!🤣

Before Wuhan flu, my DH was all, "You have too many birds." Now it's literally, "Don't kill any more roosters. We're gonna need more chicks for food. Chickens die just because sometimes. We can't be without roosters!" :lau He's actually happy I have eggs in the cooker now.:gigI'm gonna take this opportunity to buy more eggs!🤣
I told my husband how we can butcher the ducks at 8 weeks and he was all excited. It's a faster growth than the meat chickens.

Wait till we do quail 😁

He just ate another chicken and he raved about it again so I guess I'm an official chicken slayer for the rest of my life 😂

Loaded up the big yellow 'bator bus today. It's a full load riding to their lockdown. (The tinted eggs are Ayam Cemanis incubation for friends. The others are ride-alongs of French Black Copper Marans and blue-feathered Olive Eggers.)

I'll be saving eggs for Round #2 of incubation to set on the 21st with the Easter Hatch-along. Been getting a lot of calls for Marans chicks lately.

Eggs.jpg

I told my husband how we can butcher the ducks at 8 weeks and he was all excited. It's a faster growth than the meat chickens.

Wait till we do quail 😁

He just ate another chicken and he raved about it again so I guess I'm an official chicken slayer for the rest of my life 😂
My husband, who was never really that interested in raising meat birds, is very suddenly asking me tons of questions about it 😂. Glad he's finally on board! It only took a pandemic to get there, but I guess it be like that sometimes.

I agree with WVduckchick! I have 2 Nurture Right 360s, an IncuView, and a Brinsea Mini Advance (have had a few other incubators as well and narrowed it down to these). The Nurture Right 360 is my favorite, great incubator.

IncuView is great if you're also wanting to hatch turkeys or geese but it does have some hot and cold spots so I recommend rotating eggs like you would in a styrofoam incubator, it's the easiest incubator I've ever cleaned!

I ran the Brinsea for days and days and it held stable. It smells...odd. I also cleaned it out twice and ran it some more, lol, I can attest that it's very stable temperature. I finally put some eggs in it, we shall see! I just can't seem to get past this smell every time I open it. Has anyone else noticed the plastic/electric smell coming from the red coated heating wires?
I haven't noticed an unbearable electric or plasticky smell from my Brinsea. There's a hint of it, but I have to really sniff to notice it lol. The Janoel was worse when I turned it on for the first time, but I dont notice it anymore.

I have 2 coops have to enlarge one for big birds .. Silky have their own coop it does not count
buying wood soon to double the size of the small coop
I agree about the bantam sized chickens. They're small so should not count toward your chicken number. I also ended up buying a second coop - just for the silkies & seramas.... my "useless chickens". Again, none of those little birds count toward our chicken total. Likewise baby chicks don't count. They only make the numbers fluctuate a bit between when they're hatched & sold. How else can one keep the chicken number under a dozen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom