11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
First time I realized I have 3 distinct colors for my Olive Eggers. I also noticed that they are not laying daily just by setting the dates and color coordinating them. Today I only got one Olive Egg 🥚 and I even checked in the evening and nothing.
If you were me would you hatch all or select certain colors only? If so, which ones?
83113666-F5E5-4FAD-AEE3-84F732CE182D.jpeg

So I think I have a broody hen...
YAY! Because yes I was wanted a broody hen for my chicks this year I will be keeping and wanted my chicks to have that nature hatch with a mommy — I live momma hens and babies 😊
The 18-19 eggs that I will be incubating on the 21st will be for some friends like I’ve said previously(again first time incubating eggs with an incubator)
But this is me and the mamma hen’s second year hatching with a broody hen.
I saw that she went into our second extra coop that has a secret nesting box cubby with some fake eggs in it and she was on there for more then half the day today.
.....although I may have bugged her looking for freshly laid eggs under her and she got up and left. But there is feathers from her under belly that she probably pulled out for broody time in the nest!
Also I didn’t mention that she screamed at me when I opened the lid of the box and looked under her.
I hope that she will get back to the broodyness so that I can put eggs under her on Saturday as well and have eggs hatch naturally and eggs from the incubator.
We will see how it goes.

First time I realized I have 3 distinct colors for my Olive Eggers. I also noticed that they are not laying daily just by setting the dates and color coordinating them. Today I only got one Olive Egg 🥚 and I even checked in the evening and nothing.
If you were me would you hatch all or select certain colors only? If so, which ones?
View attachment 2055478
Do them all! Even if there are individual colors you prefer, it will look way more interesting in the egg carton when you have a variety.

So I think I have a broody hen...
YAY! Because yes I was wanted a broody hen for my chicks this year I will be keeping and wanted my chicks to have that nature hatch with a mommy — I live momma hens and babies 😊
The 18-19 eggs that I will be incubating on the 21st will be for some friends like I’ve said previously(again first time incubating eggs with an incubator)
But this is me and the mamma hen’s second year hatching with a broody hen.
I saw that she went into our second extra coop that has a secret nesting box cubby with some fake eggs in it and she was on there for more then half the day today.
.....although I may have bugged her looking for freshly laid eggs under her and she got up and left. But there is feathers from her under belly that she probably pulled out for broody time in the nest!
Also I didn’t mention that she screamed at me when I opened the lid of the box and looked under her.
I hope that she will get back to the broodyness so that I can put eggs under her on Saturday as well and have eggs hatch naturally and eggs from the incubator.
We will see how it goes.

I always wondered why I found feathers in my nesting boxes all these years** ago. And now it makes sense because it was usually around the time the chickens were broody.

View attachment 2055478
I would love to see all.
I did start a little late on this thread thinking at the beginning that I wasn’t going to incubate so I don’t know much about everybody here with their stories (I did read a lot tho)
I think it would be cool to have different looking chicks/chickens in the future with choosing all! :)

View attachment 2055478
Unless my goal was to obtain a certain type of chicken or egg color I'd just hatch em all! 🥰

The good thing about this batch is that I can’t see through these eggs when candling so I won’t be tempted to candle 24/7 like I did with my last batch when I had some white eggs. I think I may be on the fast road of an egg hatching addiction. Hopefully not 🤣

Unless my goal was to obtain a certain type of chicken or egg color I'd just hatch em all! 🥰

I’m hatching these for my husband’s aunt but she only wants 3-4 pullets so that’s why I’m hatching around 10-12 to up my chances of not only hatching chicks period but out of the ones that hatch hopefully a good handful will be females.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom