11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have such mild winters here that hatching then is fine for temps. Daylight hours can mess up fertility and number of egg laid though
Really? I keep learning. I know about number of eggs slowing down, but haven't had too many roosters kept for a long period of time to know about the fertility thing.

*IF* you decide to try hatching Trader Joe eggs, make sure you check the Julian calendar date (a 3-digit number which indicates packing date) for freshness, NOT the "Use By" date. You'll want to have the Julian date for the date of purchase (you there in the store) and the packing date to be as close as possible. I lucked out finding eggs one time that were a mere 3 days old! I set 3 dozen of them thinking I'd get maybe one or two per dozen as had been the result of past TJ hatches. Much to my surprise 27 chicks hatched. You should have a modicum of success if the date is 10 days or less.
View attachment 2063014
Ron, remember I tried TJ once? None. 😟 Now we know...look at the dates. Makes sense.

Ron, remember I tried TJ once? None. 😟 Now we know...look at the dates. Makes sense.
Yes! The Julian date is a number that represents the day our of 365 in a year for when the eggs were packed. It is better than the expiration date,

Name her Quarantina?

IMG_20200326_113710~2.jpg

IMG_20200326_113715~2.jpg

I'm on the East coast and usually it gets a bit colder than it did this year, I don't think Virginia really got below 40. We didn't get any snow either.

Nebraska's winter has been very mild too. Temps have pretty well stayed in the upper 30's and 40's. We have had about 4 winter storms come through (about 1 a month since November), but they haven't amounted to much compared to other winters. It really has me worried as to what this spring and summer are going to look like.

Nebraska's winter has been very mild too. Temps have pretty well stayed in the upper 30's and 40's. We have had about 4 winter storms come through (about 1 a month since November), but they haven't amounted to much compared to other winters. It really has me worried as to what this spring and summer are going to look like.
It's going to be 83 here tomorrow that's unusual for March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom