11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to candle the eggs I’ve storing that haven’t been incubated at all. When candling there I just saw straight through them, can’t see the outline of the yolk.

When I candled my 80 hours incubated eggs, I saw the yolks in them (no veins though). Maybe the fact that I seen those yolks is actually promising?

Or have you guys found that the yolk becomes more visible as they’re incubated anyways regardless of if they are fertilised or not?

This was from my last batch. On day 11 I found this egg to be not fertilized and I could see through it without being in a dark room. It was a brown egg.
C54CC9CD-D4D0-4297-9E6F-832F6CAF7EE2.jpeg

Edited to Add: A pic to compare two eggs on the same day
C3852B8D-40D5-4EE7-A4C5-AA5075D0DA63.png

Last edited:
I used a bandaid once - breathable cloth strip. When it came time for lockdown, there was enough shell for her to still zip and get out, but I watched it like a "hawk with good motives!"
I found cracks in one of my duck eggs a couple days ago. Don't have super glue (which is mildly toxic but the same chemicals are used in liquid bandaid), don't have nail polish, didn't trust wax in a warm incubator so I painted them with some white fluid acrylic. White (in art or craft acrylic) generally is non-toxic and all paints are basically glue, so... Hopefully it works. I might also have tried Elmers white glue, but the paint dries a little faster.

This was from my last batch. On day 11 I found this egg to be not fertilized and I could see through it without being in a dark room. It was a brown egg.
View attachment 2072155
Edited to Add: A pic to compare two eggs on the same day
View attachment 2072174

Hmm well maybe the fact that I can see the yolk is promising then?

Since that egg of yours had been incubated for 11 days and the yolk still couldn’t be seen. That being said, my eggs are light in colour.

I found cracks in one of my duck eggs a couple days ago. Don't have super glue (which is mildly toxic but the same chemicals are used in liquid bandaid), don't have nail polish, didn't trust wax in a warm incubator so I painted them with some white fluid acrylic. White (in art or craft acrylic) generally is non-toxic and all paints are basically glue, so... Hopefully it works. I might also have tried Elmers white glue, but the paint dries a little faster.

So far I have not had any trouble with the wax on the egg. The wax is just a hair softer to the touch than the candle is, but it has not melted/dripped anymore.

Okay, this is the list of people that I have an egg count from. If you are not on this list and would like to be included, please send me a message. https://www.backyardchickens.com/conversations/add
@AgnesGray
@Alaskenmichelle
@aliciaplus3
@AlleysChicks
@Amos-Moses
@atalanta
@AusHen
@Avian Allie
@AwesomesMommy
@Azeria
@BantyChooks
@Bert96746
@beth1004
@BirdsBeesTrees
@bonz4bon
@Brigabart
@CapricornFarm
@Carcavallo
@casportpony
@catsndogs4us
@Chicka_deee
@CluckNDoodle
@ColtHandorf
@CoxCraziness
@CrazyChixLady2013
@Cre8joy
@Cynthia12
@DebbT
@Desiree Brown
@elaurel
@Everlastinghoop
@feedman77
@FlomatonsFlocks
@Floydie
@FortCluck
@FredsGobblers
@gmjarvi
@Gray Angel Farm
@hilltopchicks77
@homeschoolin momma
@hysop
@JennyFromTheBawk
@jilljiordano
@Jules929
@juliasflock
@justin24
@kacklinkelly
@kelseyk
@Kgibby
@Kiki
@klweber2002
@Legouffe
@lilroohomestead
@LilyD
@Littleblackstar
@LittleChickenMama
@lmdengler
@Magnolia Ducks
@Melontine
@Missy020219
@mominoz
@MPchicks
@MROO
@muddy75
@Mvan42
@Mylied
@NanaKat
@Nifty-Chicken
@OneMountainAcres
@Onyx961
@orrpeople
@Palogal
@Peep_Show
@Pensmaster
@PetRock
@Phillisy
@pipdzipdnreadytogo
@Poultrybonkers
@Pyxis
@RainForestBird
@Redhead Rae
@RhodeIslandRedBreeder
@Rocky1028
@Ropi
@Rosie65
@Self sufficient chickens
@Slowdancer59
@SteveWin
@Stonewall Acres
@Sueg4332
@sunshine ducky
@tazcat70
@The Cottages
@The Golden Egg5
@The Phantom
@TJChickens
@Uff Da
@UThobbyfarmer
@Verge134
@wicket 07
@Willow2253
@willowcol
@WindyLookout
@wolfwalker
@WVduckchick
I added eggs to my incubator yesterday. Is it too late to include those in the count

So far I have not had any trouble with the wax on the egg. The wax is just a hair softer to the touch than the candle is, but it has not melted/dripped anymore.
I think my problem with wax (the time I tried it) was that I used wax from a therapeutic bath--treatment for arthritis, etc. I'm betting it has a lower melt point. Anyway, the paint was easier, so... :p

Hello All you Chicken Folks, I started my chicks a day later. I started with 44 eggs. I am down 5 for sure after candling. I have 8 Canadian Bresse, 7 Bresse x Meran, 5 Bresse x Bard Rock, 2 silkies, 12 Blue Bardrock x Meran. We shall see how it goes .
Does anyone have any tricks for cancelling dark Meran eggs?
Good luck to everyone,
I watched several videos in that regard and during candling you'll be able to see the air cell if there's development. So if there's an air cell it's a keeper. I have a few Barnevelder mixes and that's what I relied on.

I added eggs to my incubator yesterday. Is it too late to include those in the count
I think it probably is too late to include them for the official tally, but that doesn't mean you can't follow along, give/get advice, share pics, etc. Also, there is an April Hatch-a-Long you can join in addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom