12-14 week olds pooping in nesting boxes

JoeInPA

Songster
Aug 25, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Hi everyone. I have 2 birds, one pullet and one rooster that are 12-14 weeks. The pullet isn't laying yet. They have been in their permanent coop now for 3 nights and it seems that they are pooping and playing in the nesting boxes.

Since the pullet isn't laying yet I'm thinking they probably don't know what they boxes are for.

I also have three 5 week old pullets but they are still in a large brooder at night. They aren't ready to be fully integrated with the older birds (They do go in the run together during the day but the 5 weeks olds are sectioned off in their own area).

Should I just remove the nesting boxes until the pullet starts laying to prevent any bad habits? They are easily removable.

So is it better to block them off than remove them entirely?
I block them. 20180807_190633.jpg . I wedge gallon bottles in tightly. Vinegar or washer fluid bottles. GC

Either or works - if they can be removed, you can remove them. If that's not practical, then just block them. I've always had mine set up to be removable for cleaning purposes.

Mine just lift right out. I designed them to be easily removed for easy cleaning as well. It would be easier just to remove them.

Back
Top Bottom