12+ Australian Spotted Duck eggs (fertility proven)

Yes, they are friendly, mine are a bit shy but just because we aren't home a ton to spend time with them during the school year. In the summer, they calm down a lot b/c we spend so much more time with them.Yes, they're fine with other domestic ducks. My big 4 Swedish ducks are in the same pen- they all stay to themselves...the big ones can't fly at all- the Aussies can fly short bursts and up a few feet- so they are able to get on top of things in the pen while the Swedes stick to the ground. There aren't ever any problems that we've seen....
Lisa

Last edited:
lots of eggs available still
yesss.gif

They're still laying and not going broody on me yet.
tongue.png

Just PM me if you want some.

Last edited:
I'm totally enamoured with the Australian Spotteds, and am really tempted to try hatching some, but after reading that bantam ducks are hard to hatch, I'm a bit intimidated.
Are they a *little* harder? Or *lots* harder? And does that mean that a novice would be likely to have a low hatch rate, or would it be closer to all-or-nothing? I'm okay with low hatch rate, but would hate to ruin the whole lot!

Thanks!
Christy

I didn't find them real hard to hatch the 1st time...and I seem to get new ducklings each Spring since then too. I used a styrofoam Hovabator for the 1st hatch (got lucky and hatched a male and female out of 6 eggs and that was with standard sized duck eggs, and chicken eggs too- a real staggered hatch), and that pair has been continuing to have ducklings (and now grand-ducklings) each year. All the females I have seem to want to go broody at some point in Spring or Summer.
Lisa

I'm hoping to do a mixed hatch, too, with some Welsh Harlequins. Is this likely to work? I know the incubation period is a couple of days different, but now I'm seeing widely differing recommendations for humidity and, to a lesser degree, temperature. Are conditions close enough to work?

Christy

Christy,
I don't know anything about WH ducks, but I hatched Blue/Black Swedish at the same time as my first Aussies. That was a few years ago too and I was pretty new to incubators and hatching. Now, I'd try it, with low (close to dry) humidity up to day 25, then increasing it up to 75% or so. Temp at 99.5 all the way thru with forced air. Daily cooling and misting up til day 25 too. Auto turning for the duck eggs.(That just worked with my goose eggs, except I hand turned those.) I thought all ducks (except Muscovies) took 27-28 days. Good Luck deciding...let me know if you have any other questions...
Lisa

How about pullorum - typhoid status? Or any other health concerns that I should be thinking about?

Christy

We haven't done the NPIP testing ... They have been healthy and active ducks from the start.

I am interested but do you sell less than 12 i am looking for 6? and if you will be selling life ones i live in CT and travel alot to NJ and if are selling life ones i would be glad to pick them up if the price is right. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom