12 Chickens Killed in Coop

I would bet racoon.... the holes were opened and probably improved on by a racoon? They will reach through if they cannot get in, if they get in they will kill all. Dogs are definitely killers....? Could they have broken into the coop like that? At least we can say for sure this one wasn't a hawk.

I really doubt it being a bear....doesn't sound like enough damage, and they can get thru doubled hardware cloth. I also doubt it was a cat of some kind, because they kill to eat. I would say it is either 2-3 dogs in a pack....or feral pigs. I don't think it was a coon, because one coon wouldn't go thru the trouble of getting into 2 coops just to kill....they would get into one and kill all that was in the one and eat what it wanted....and they don't run in packs. Just so ya will know, ya do have panthers and bears there....they may not be nunerous, but they are certainly there....and feral hogs are becoming a major problem across the whole southeastern US and are horrible in Arkansas and Texas and spreading.

So sorry! It's time to add electric fencing, and a game camera would be nice too.
Good luck getting your varmits!
Mary
Yes, we are definitely gonna put traps and a camera up. I've reinforced the remaining coop pretty well, but electric fencing would also be a good idea...

Back
Top Bottom