12 ducklings help

Halleys

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
So my husband and myself got 12 ducklings. A friend got them for her kids and learned they are hard to care for. We are thinking some are 2 -3 weeks and others 1-2 weeks. They have been panting quite a bit since last night. We have them in a tote until I get them a stock tank but I think they are getting to hot. It says 84 degrees F. My house stays about 72-74 are they over heating. Or is it something more serious.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 19
So my husband and myself got 12 ducklings. A friend got them for her kids and learned they are hard to care for. We are thinking some are 2 -3 weeks and others 1-2 weeks. They have been panting quite a bit since last night. We have them in a tote until I get them a stock tank but I think they are getting to hot. It says 84 degrees F. My house stays about 72-74 are they over heating. Or is it something more serious.
Just some advice. That brooder is very very small for their current size. With brooders, they need to be able to get away from the heat lamp as well as each other in the event they overheat. They're likely panting from the heat lamp being to close in such a small environment, as well as being on top of each other.

First thing, I would get a larger brooder and give them a cool end they can move to. Duckings, chicks, any baby bird can very quickly overheat and die as they cannot properly regulate their temperatures like an adult. I hope this helps and your babies feel better!

Also: If you have a thermometer, place it on the hot end so you know it's correct and you can monitor it.

@Isaac 0 (Just tagging you in case I've forgotten anything!)

Just some advice. That brooder is very very small for their current size. With brooders, they need to be able to get away from the heat lamp as well as each other in the event they overheat. They'll likely panting from the heat lamp being to close in such a small environment, as well as being on top of each other.

First thing, I would get a larger brooder and give them a cool end they can move to. Duckings, chicks, any baby bird can very quickly overheat and die as they cannot properly regulate their temperatures like an adult. I hope this helps and your babies feel better!

Also: If you have a thermometer, place it on the hot end so you know it's correct and you can monitor it.

@Isaac 0 (Just tagging you in case I've forgotten anything!)
I am going to get a big container for them tomorrow they got dropped on us tonight. All we know is that three of them is Peking and I’m guessing those are the bigger ones. On one side it is 84 degrees and the opposite is about 75ish. We have a temp gun we use.

I am going to get a big container for them tomorrow they got dropped on us tonight. All we know is that three of them is Peking and I’m guessing those are the bigger ones. On one side it is 84 degrees and the opposite is about 75ish. We have a temp gun we use.
The heat side is alright. That's about normal for this age. The issue is there is no 'cool side' as the tote is likely trapping heat due to being so small.

If they are becoming distressed I would raise the bulb, or temporarily set up another brooder area. Bathtubs or shower stalls work well as temporary brooders in emergencies.

The heat side is alright. That's about normal for this age. The issue is there is no 'cool side' as the tote is likely trapping heat due to being so small.

If they are becoming distressed I would raise the bulb, or temporarily set up another brooder area. Bathtubs or shower stalls work well as temporary brooders in emergencies.
Ok thank you so much

As noted its definitely not enough space so its good that youre getting something bigger ASAP. Ducks make so much heat and humidity of their own in their bodies.

In addition to that, they don't have an appropriate waterer. Ducks need to be able to dunk their whole heads under water to rinse everything out. They make a mess with their food and gunk up their nostrils, and their eyes can easily get nasty as well. Chick waterers generally dont work well for ducks. In a pinch, grab a milk or juice carton you can cut up. You want them to be able to reach just their head in, and dunk it low enough under the water without strangling themselves over the edge of the container to do so, so kinda eyeball how tall they stand and mark that chest height on the jug. Cut a hole just big enough for their heads (if you take the whole top off or make the hole too big they'll try to get inside it.) Another option is to punch holes in the lid of a short tupperware container. To keep the pen drier, place the container in a low baking dish to catch the splashes. (I used the tupperware for about 2.5 weeks, then moved up to a 1L jug on its side, then the big 2L jug around 5 weeks onward)

What's the longterm plan for them? 12's an awful lot to start with unexpectedly!

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

Back
Top Bottom