12-Week-Old Easter Egger Pullet or Roo?

jamiep1984

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2023
Hi there,

I have an Easter egger that I’m pretty sure is a Pullet but at the same time, her stance and tail look very roo-like to me. Plus, she (he?) is is the bully of the flock and can be aggressive.

What makes me think she’s a pullet— her comb is still pretty small in par with my other hens, she’s the same size as the rest of my girls if not a tiny bit smaller, and she hasn’t tried to crow yet.

What makes me think she might be a cockerel is her body shape/stance, her straight up tail, and how her head feathers are very markedly different in color to her body. Also her tail feathers look very rounded.

Anyway, I actually do want a roo, so if she is one, then I have my roo already — if not I have found a roo that needs a home, I just can’t take him until I’m sure.

IMG_1145.jpeg
IMG_1148.jpeg
IMG_1144.jpeg
IMG_1143.jpeg

Boy, this is a strange one to say the least. When I first glanced at the head I was ready to type "pullet 100%" however, it had pronounced saddle feathers and pointy hackles.

However, I'd think you would have had a crow by now.

The tail is a tough one as roosters don't usually get their curvy sickle feathers for awhile, but I am not seeing those.

I believe this is a sneaky cockerel. But gosh, I just scrolled back up and think maybe I'll change my mind.

If my life depended on it, I'll stick
Wirh cockerel.

Curious as to what some other folks think.

Take a shot chipmunk! What do you think?!
Hi there,

I have an Easter egger that I’m pretty sure is a Pullet but at the same time, her stance and tail look very roo-like to me. Plus, she (he?) is is the bully of the flock and can be aggressive.

What makes me think she’s a pullet— her comb is still pretty small in par with my other hens, she’s the same size as the rest of my girls if not a tiny bit smaller, and she hasn’t tried to crow yet.

What makes me think she might be a cockerel is her body shape/stance, her straight up tail, and how her head feathers are very markedly different in color to her body. Also her tail feathers look very rounded.

Anyway, I actually do want a roo, so if she is one, then I have my roo already — if not I have found a roo that needs a home, I just can’t take him until I’m sure.

View attachment 3515563View attachment 3515564View attachment 3515565View attachment 3515566
@house1917 I've come to thoroughly respect your opinion. Love to hear your piece.

I think I change my answer to pullet.

@house1917 I've come to thoroughly respect your opinion. Love to hear your piece.

I think I change my answer to pullet.

Right? I was *sure* she was a roo for weeks with her behavior, stance and those saddle feathers but lately I’ve been thinking more that she’s a Pullet given her size and small comb plus no crowing*. She/he’s a conundrum!

*She does have a interesting vocalization that sounds a bit screamy but then my other girls are also still finding their chicken voices and sound kinda funny in their own unique ways 😂

Take a shot chipmunk! What do you think?!
I was feeling your whole post there. I was coming out of the gate, obvious team pullet... But then those skinny, curvy tail feathers you circled!? The comb and wattles, there's almost nothing, so that's throwing me way off maybe? Idk what's more likely - a rooster with no comb, wattles, or crow, or a pullet with those curvy tail feathers. 🤷

Back
Top Bottom