12 week old sick silkie pullet

byezic

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
Michigan
Hello friends,
I have a 12 week old silkie pullet (I’m not 100% sure it’s a pullet but I’m leaning towards that) who started acting odd Sunday evening. She has stopped eating and drinking and will just stand or lay down not moving. On Monday I gave her a drench and force fed some eggs. Yesterday I force fed eggs and electrolyte water several times throughout the day. I did move her to a cage in the house last night because she kept just falling off the perch in the coop. She weighs 15 oz as of yesterday. She is vaccinated for mareks but I do have mareks in my flock. After I make her eat and drink she will walk around and make some trilling sounds. Last night I did let her outside to free range with everyone and she disappeared. We found her in our soybean field just roaming around. She seems to walk in circles and like she doesn’t know where she’s going, just walking. I tried to feed her a mash last night of chick feed with a syringe but it kept clogging the syringe. Her poop is watery sometimes, especially after I give her the water but other than that the color is normal and sometimes the consistency is normal. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thank you in advance!!

Is it possible that she’s just adjusting to warmer climates? Silkies also get sick a lot, from their fluff picking up bacteria. How does she interact with the other birds?

Has she been bullied by the others or possibly kept from food and water? At her age coccidiosis could still be a problem. Corid is what most people use to treat it. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Some use sulfa antibiotics (SMZ TMP, sulfadimethoxine) instead, and that can help treat both coccidiosis and some other infections. Can you mix a small bowl of watery chicken feed and offer that?

We live in southwest Michigan and it has been hot lately so maybe it could be weather. Right now she isn’t interacting with anyone. I did notice that one of the big girls was chasing her yesterday trying to peck her. I am getting corid on my way home. Is it okay to treat her even if we aren’t 100% sure she has it?

Back
Top Bottom