12 week old with severe respiratory illness - Can she recover?

AUtiger

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 12, 2013
East Tennessee
My 12 week old barred rock girl had a terrible case of respiratory illness (suspected MG?) swollen snotty eyes, runny nose, very lethargic, wheezing. I have been giving her antibiotics (Tylan50 injectin) 4 days now. Her eyes are swollen shut still, although they look slightly better now than yesterday. I have been irrigating her eyes with baby saline drops and have some antibiotic ointment. Her poop seems pretty normal.

She is in a brooder box in my basement. I have to hand feed and water her every hour or so, because she is blinded and weak. (getting up in the middle of the night at least once too). I have been giving her scrambled eggs, cut up grapes, and kombucha moistened chick starter. Plus eyedroppers full of water. She is absolutely skin and bones now. Pitiful!!! She eats about a teaspoon at a time, then falls back asleep.
One of her siblings died 2 nights ago...she had no outward symptoms, just went into respiratory distress. The other 3 are doing great, i have been giving them Tylan50 orally as a precaution. We got them 2 weeks ago and have them in quarantine from our 5 year old hen (although we are not totally aseptic, i wear the same shoes in their separate runs. My older hen had been sneezing a little earlier in the springr, so she probably gave it to them.

Question is...will she be able to recover, or should I put her down. There is literally no meat on her bones. She can stand and she huddles up next to my grow light, but she can't eat or drink on her own for 4 days now. How long should I wait? Any other suggestions?

Totally up to you.
Hard decision that only you can make.

I personally would not have let one suffer.
Assuming a vet trip is not an option you would either have to continue to nurse her or end it.
:hugs

She is still hanging in there. I started tube feeding her last night per instructions in another thread. Her eyes are less swollen, but her sinuses seem very tight and puffy. We are snuggling in the basement for now
2067121874736077930-account_id=1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom