12 white leghorns from TS..all hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by georgia531, May 24, 2011.

1. georgia531

georgia531 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    Hi everybody, I bought 12 white leghorn chicks from Tractor Supply 6 weeks ago. From what I read on here, I should be able to tell by now which are hens and which are roos. The thing is, they all look exactly the same!! I know I have mostly hens, their tail feathers go straight up... but I was hoping for at least one rooster...Not one of them has a pink/reddish comb... Is it possible that they could ALL be hens? or maybe they aren't leghorns? Here is a picture that shows what they look like in case they arent leghorns at all.. they arent very big. They were born around April 11... thanks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like all Pullets. A roo would really stick out at that age.

3. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    where are you located?i have one white leghorn cockeral you can have.he is about 5 weeks old.i wanted a pullet.lol

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  4. georgia531

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    Hi dinahmoe, I am in southwestern PA....I would gladly trade you... i never dreamed I would end up with 12 hens, bought straight run... I also bought 50 barred rocks, and bought them sexed (hens) Now I am hoping they made a mistake on one... Im pretty sure I have a roo... he is alot lighter and his comb is bigger and turning pink... they are only 4 weeks old... the leghorns I stare at daily searching for a pink comb, but no luck so far.

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Look at your receipt... They were probably sold as pullets to you. Ours gets a bunch of pullets in one bin and straight run in the other to offer.

6. Chicken Boy-17

Chicken Boy-17 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    I got 6 white leghorn pullets at TSC and they look just like that:)

7. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I got 38 white leghorns at tractor supply and they all look like that and I am in North Central PA

8. georgia531

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    they were definately sold as strait run... i couldnt be happier... just wish there was ONE roo...anybody have one to trade? i live 50 or so miles from Pittsburgh...[​IMG]

9. reneeandshane

reneeandshane Out Of The Brooder

Well...I bought 3 whites(what I thought were Leghorns) and they don't look like yours. I think they gave me some breed of giant meat bird. [​IMG]
    I am learning this chicken thing but I'd say all girls too. Good luck.

10. georgia531

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    I was looking on Craiglist, and found someone giving away 2 young roosters that are half white leghorn and half amberlink... not sure if I should get them or hold out for a pure leghorn... leaning towards keeping it pure.. any thoughts on this?? thank you for your replys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by