12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly we think the first chick has something wrong with its left foot, could anyone identify the problem? Need all the help you can give us! Pictures below:

--goldbean's daughters

Attachments

• curledtoes2.jpeg
    curledtoes2.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 7
  • curledtoesquestion.jpeg
    curledtoesquestion.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 6
Yay! Congratulations!🥰
Thank you ❤️

@LadiesAndJane - I just did a quick google on this issue and it looks like it might, but depends to some degree on the thickness of the material used (i.e. thick aluminum would actually be more effective than thin lead.) Several layers of heavy duty aluminum foil probably wouldn't hurt.
Footage and photographic film were put in special bags when transported by plane in times when not everything filmed and photographed was digital. I don't know if those bags would be useable for eggs, perhaps there would be not enough airflow or it could get too hot inside, perhaps the material is not healthy - I don't know. But those bags protect footage from x-rays at hand luggage control.
day 21 still haven’t even heard a peep :(
Hi elizabethu42 fingers crossed for your eggs :fl💪 ❤️

Omg, so many gorgeous chicks, ducklings and quail babies 🥰😍:love
Cuteness overload! Congrats everybody and fingers crossed for all eggs :woot

2 more healthy chicks hatched within 45 minutes of each other. Mom is a bantam blue Americana, and dad is a full-size Ayam Cemani / Easter egger. Babies are healthy and vigorous. One has black skin like dad, the other pink skin and some lighter feathers on its chest and belly.
(3 total now)

Attachments

• B6A6CDCF-C7B3-4288-A5CF-D7888B536664.jpeg
    B6A6CDCF-C7B3-4288-A5CF-D7888B536664.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 5
  • D38DACF3-7CD2-4FCF-BA37-8C61348343BE.jpeg
    D38DACF3-7CD2-4FCF-BA37-8C61348343BE.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 6
Sadly we think the first chick has something wrong with its left foot, could anyone identify the problem? Need all the help you can give us! Pictures below:

--goldbean's daughters
it isn’t something to worry about yet. I typically have chicks straighten their feet out within 48 hours.
Wrong side pippers often turn themselves around, but will also hatch on the wrong end just fine as well.

One of the barnyard mix eggs hatched, and all 3 chicks are with the broody. 🤞 they are all happy through the night. They’ve been happily snuggled up under her all afternoon. 🥰

2 eggs under my broody still, 2 eggs rocking in the bator, 2 suspected dead in shell.

hoping to wake up to some more pips tomorrow!

Attachments

• 15B6F00B-5A4B-42DE-BC79-270121C2320C.jpeg
    15B6F00B-5A4B-42DE-BC79-270121C2320C.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 7
  • D71C38B8-B199-4AA4-9B5A-69E94E1D8C47.jpeg
    D71C38B8-B199-4AA4-9B5A-69E94E1D8C47.jpeg
    550.9 KB · Views: 7
it isn’t something to worry about yet. I typically have chicks straighten their feet out within 48 hours.
Wrong side pippers often turn themselves around, but will also hatch on the wrong end just fine as well.
Thanks so much -- just gotta keep praying and hope that these babies make it. Gosh, I feel like the incubator is a giant magnet and I keep getting pulled towards it...

--goldbean's older daughter

Would it be possible to design a shipping container based on a clear plastic egg carton placed inside a larger padded foil-lined box with Velcro or snap closures so that Customs officials can open the box, visually inspect the contents, then close the box? To skip having to x-ray it?

Edited- and paste a copy of the article inside the box lid!!!
Mostly the process is automated so no one would see the setup.

Yes! There were time frames and everything on the study I linked. I just don't know at what point it becomes harmful because they were predominantly talking about female hatch rates. It didn't sound like it was very successful either. 😬 It's definitely not something I would have the stomach to test.
It is best to get the highest hatch rate possible and have a plan for the cockerels that hatch.

Ultimately there will be more females that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom