12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I just washed over a dozen eggs. I know they can still hatch, but I’m trying to keep myself from incubating three (or five) dozen eggs. I’m allowed to only collect eggs from Wednesday on. :oops:
Just watch, neither of us will be able to resist the urge to set all the eggs. :lol:
Oh my goodness, I hope the five hold outs don’t start laying this week!
I hope mine do. Not including the Polish (different colors) and my two BLRW roos, I only have one of each breed.

Just watch, neither of us will be able to resist the urge to set all the eggs. :lol:

I hope mine do. Not including the Polish (different colors) and my two BLRW roos, I only have one of each breed.
Five girls will be going broody as soon as tomorrow, but likely in about six weeks. They will then give their hatch about six weeks, lay one week, then all start sitting again. I’m only testing the incubators since I recently had to fix them. 🤥 I am not setting more than six eggs total... per incubator. I need more incubators!

Five girls will be going broody as soon as tomorrow, but likely in about six weeks. They will then give their hatch about six weeks, lay one week, then all start sitting again. I’m only testing the incubators since I recently had to fix them. 🤥 I am not setting more than six eggs total... per incubator. I need more incubators!
I need more, too.

Last edited:
Greetings, all! I haven't done an Easter hatch in a while, I have had later-fertilized eggs the last several years (last year my first set was 4/4), but thought it seemed like a good year to try a little earlier again.
To add interest, I decided to have a couple dozen eggs shipped from the University of CT (I am in CO) - this will almost certainly result in me filling that incubator with a completely different set of eggs a week later, but I wanted to try their eggs and thought now is as good a time as any.
I also discovered there is a Hedemora keeper not far from me, so I'll be going to pick up a dozen eggs there the afternoon of the 12th or morning of the 13th, and will fill out that incubator with my own eggs, in all likelihood from a first-year flock covered by a nice LF Black Cochin, with 3 Black Cochin pullets, a Naked Neck pullet, and a hatchery pullet of unknown heritage we love named Amelia. She is white and lays fairly dark brown eggs, has a hint of cream in her hackle feathers, very confident attitude, very smart bird.
I have two RCom incubators that hold approximately 2 dozen eggs each, and a Brinsea mini for overflow so I can set up to 7 extra eggs to allow for the likely high number of UConn eggs that don't develop. This makes the maximum number of eggs I can set 55, assuming they are medium eggs. If the UConn and/or Hedemora eggs are larger or smaller, that number can change. The UConn eggs are White Leghorns, so they may be larger, Hedemora are said to lay medium sized eggs.
Welcome!

I hope the shipped eggs do well for you :fl

So I was never able to get the NR360 in time :barnie:hitjust had to make a big decision: the rest of the coop construction along with the run, or the replacement incubator. I am lucky to at least have 2 semi-good incubators, though, and I have a plan. I timed the buying eggs pretty well because I got my first batch (the ones I got a week early because of a nice deal) all within 2 days, but I didn’t get enough to fill the 56 holders inside the bator, so I can have my 2nd set (for this EHAL) in with my 1st set. They’re just about 3-4 days apart, so for lockdown for the 1st set I’ll just be using my older other incubator for the hatching tray and stuff. I have them all marked which is which.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom