12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
When should I remove the hatchlings? How soon should I introduce food and water?
Are you ready for every chick parent out there to give you their advice? :D
The yolk gives them three days of food. Typically, we don’t wait that long. I have removed wet chicks that were lonely, and driving me insane with their screaming. Once they were in the brooder (under the heat lamp), they were quiet because hatch mates were in there too.
I have never dipped a beak or bill, and never had a problem with any bird finding the water and food. Ducks, chickens, turkeys or quail.

Last edited:
My hatches tend to be a day early so I didn’t set mine until Saturday March 13th at 6pm instead of noon, thinking this way we would have a late-Friday hatch. I locked down last night (day 18) and checked for pips this morning, feeling foolish for doing it because it’s so early. My 13 year old was in their online science class when they heard peeping and sure enough, we have one super early bird. 2 days and 6 hours early, this lil chicky pushed its way into the world.

Attachments

• A07E1B17-221D-41DF-A4AD-19DED0C7545D.png
    A07E1B17-221D-41DF-A4AD-19DED0C7545D.png
    2 MB · Views: 10
My hatches tend to be a day early so I didn’t set mine until Saturday March 13th at 6pm instead of noon, thinking this way we would have a late-Friday hatch. I locked down last night (day 18) and checked for pips this morning, feeling foolish for doing it because it’s so early. My 13 year old was in their online science class when they heard peeping and sure enough, we have one super early bird. 2 days and 6 hours early, this lil chicky pushed its way into the world.
Congratulations!

Are you ready for every chick parent out there to give you their advice? :D
The yolk gives them three days of food. Typically, we don’t wait that long. I have removed wet chicks that were lonely, and driving me insane with their screaming. Once they were in the brooder (under the heat lamp), they were quiet because hatch mates were in there too.
I have never dipped a beak or bill, and never had a problem with any bird finding the water and food. Ducks, chickens, turkeys or quail.
Whew! Thanks. This isn’t going to be so bad.

My eggs go into lockdown in 3 days. So far all the mixed eggs are doing great. I candled a few of the Marans at day 14 and from what I could tell they were doing great as well. I will candle all the Marans eggs before lockdown, that is when I can tell the most about them anyway. My broody who was not part of the hatch-a-long had 4 out of her 7 eggs hatch. Sadly for the first time ever that she has had chicks she stepped on 2 of the chicks with her bad leg and killed them. The 2 remaining chicks Pickles and Basil are doing well and have learned to avoid momma's bad leg. Pickles is the Marans x Orp cross and she came out looking like nothing I was expecting. And she's feathering in surprisingly too. I was expecting mostly black feathering coming in. Well look at her here at 5 days old when I took this. Brown feathering, and is that sort of a partridge pattern trying to happen? Either way she's adorable, got her daddy's feathered legs and until she crows she is a she lol.
Few hours old
DSCN3464.JPG

5 days old
DSCN3585.JPG
DSCN3583.JPG

Here are my three that have hatched so far. Just waiting on the last two. I have a broody OEGB who has been sitting for probably more than 4 weeks waiting for something to hatch (her eggs weren't fertile), so I'll give her these babies. She's a fantastic mother and she's even raised a duckling for us. She's going to be so happy. 🥰
Chick 1.jpg Chick 2.jpg Chick 3.jpg

My eggs go into lockdown in 3 days. So far all the mixed eggs are doing great. I candled a few of the Marans at day 14 and from what I could tell they were doing great as well. I will candle all the Marans eggs before lockdown, that is when I can tell the most about them anyway. My broody who was not part of the hatch-a-long had 4 out of her 7 eggs hatch. Sadly for the first time ever that she has had chicks she stepped on 2 of the chicks with her bad leg and killed them. The 2 remaining chicks Pickles and Basil are doing well and have learned to avoid momma's bad leg. Pickles is the Marans x Orp cross and she came out looking like nothing I was expecting. And she's feathering in surprisingly too. I was expecting mostly black feathering coming in. Well look at her here at 5 days old when I took this. Brown feathering, and is that sort of a partridge pattern trying to happen? Either way she's adorable, got her daddy's feathered legs and until she crows she is a she lol.
Few hours old
View attachment 2595261
5 days old
View attachment 2595264View attachment 2595266
Cute chick! I have a chick that’s a buff orp/ Swedish flower cross & he looks very similar to yours.
00FF51BB-6D9E-4217-A1A8-153148AC63CE.jpeg

This was him at a few days old (on the left).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom