13-14 week old hen is sick.......updates too.

hawtchick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
New Hampshire
This may be a dumb question, but I have this one NHR hen who I have noticed just today has started just hanging out all alone, and "sleeping" in the grass.
When I saw her earlier this morning I actually thought she had died.
sad.png

She lets me come right up to her and stroke her which is not like her at all. I find my reds are not a tame as my leghorns.
Anyone have any ideas?? She seems too young to be broody, and she looks healthy. I have seen her eat and drink today.
Just a worried mama.
wink.png

Thanks
Jess

eta: I just went out to check on her, and she pooped while I was there and it was kind of clear white runniness.
hmm.png

She has always been one of my smaller girls, especially next to my leghorns.

eta: saturday, she had blood in her poop.
sad.png
Stopped at the grain store and picked up the antibiotic and filled all the waterers, and cleaned out the coop. Just checked in the coop and she is still not perching in her usual spot, but she is still with us. I also made sure I got some of the treated water into her earlier, for my own piece of mind.

Last edited:
I would keep an eye on her-- but if she's eating, drinking and moving without trouble-- it may just be a "teen" thing...

When pur Bantams (OE and Mille Fluer) hit their 'teens" at about 12-14 weeks-- sudden behaviors changed...
the Mille fluer is now a total loner, and only interacts with 2 other specific hens (A silkie and a tiny OE) and other than them, only wants to be with US.....
The OE hen has allways been the tiniest bird of the bunch-- still the size of a robin! She was allways very sweet, affectionate and spoild.... but at around 12 weeks she started not wanting to be picked-up or touched as much... and often when held will suddenly "pitch a fit" and want down...things she's never done.

If the Hen you have is a loner-- just spend more time & attention on her... maybe get her a younger, smaller, and very docile hen as a friend... the others may just be too rambunctious for her.

Back
Top Bottom