13 silkie chicks and.... what ever this is :)

dahartfarm

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2015
Maryland
Hello all! This is my first post on BYC I raise/breed silkies as well as have a few other birds(since while beautiful and fluffy silkies dont always provide the most eggs and it takes them forever to lay). So about 15 weeks ago I had some chickies (3) hatch naturally and bought a few more to add to the mix which were hatched within a day of my own(because why not). So at 15 weeks I have 13 silkies and 1 surprise? lol. At 5 weeks she(maybe he) began greeting me every morning by flying out of the brooder box. My little friend will sit on my shoulder come when i cluck but is clearly not a silkie. So this is a recent picture from a few days ago. Chickie is batam sized, has 4 toes, green eyes and feathered feet. is chickie just an accidental flock mutt? what do you think? lol

here with some of Chickies hatchmates

welcome-byc.gif

Where did the bird come from, a hatchery or a breeder? What type of comb does it have?

welcome-byc.gif

Where did the bird come from, a hatchery or a breeder? What type of comb does it have?

x2

If you purchased the chicks from a feed store, their bins are often erroneously mixed. If from a friend farm, their breeds are often mixed if they are not keeping strict pen policies.

If it were to be a Buff Brahma bantam, it should have a pea comb.

It may be just a backyard mix though.

LofMc

I got them from a breeder ( who breeds a few types of poultry) she had separated the chicks out but its always possible to get an egg in the wrong batch im sure lol! I dont see any comb at all but il check again

Back
Top Bottom