13 Week EE Injured (17 wks now) ~Vet Update Not Good~ *Graphic Pics *

Well I'm glad that we're on the same page.
smile.png
I wouldn't worry about the milk, really. it's just something to adjust now if you can. The fact that she's more interested - that's just brilliant! You'll have to follow up, just watch that opening in the roof of her mouth as her sinuses drain there. (That's why in respiratory illnesses, I swab that area with VetRx - as it fumes up into that sinus.) Neat stuff the way birds are made.

On the jaw, I was wondering the same but I'm glad to hear it was just the swelling. That's why I wondered if she moved it - even if not closing it. That's so sad about her cheeks. SHe's just a brave girl.

On the antibiotics, yes - you can get them at the feedstore. Obviously it's best if you see a vet, but I realize not everyone has that option.

Most feedstores have Procaine Penicillin or another form of Penicillin in their fridges. You'd get a cat/dog syringe with the cat/dog needle... five of them. With Procaine you can give it every other day. The feedstores have a dosage there usually. If you can't get one, we can find you one and then help you on how to inject. Please let us know when you're ready. I can actually give you very very detailed instructions so that you feel confident. I think if you fight that infection from within, she'll get well even quicker. Then we can see what's going on with the beak.

Cheers on her improvement, and so fast too! You're a great nurse.
smile.png

I would give her
1 tbsp of ACV to pint of water
as water source for gut flora

also when ordering penecillian
DO GET VETRX
it will help the yhens eyes and head
rub it generously all over the hens head and under the wings
and with eye dropper give her
1/2 tsp down the throat

this will help a lot to solve the swelling

YOU CAN GET PENICILLIAN FROM oMAHA vACCINE AND THEN THE NEEDLES TO INJECT IT

Pet Products and Supplies - Omaha Vaccine Company Pet Products and Supplies - Omaha Vaccine Company Prices subject to change Note: Any orders, including vaccine orders placed on Friday will be shipped on ...
www.einet.net/review/20205-126900/Pet_Products_and_Supplies_Omaha_Vaccine_Company.htm - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

also

Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply

14000 W. 215th St., Bucyrus, KS 66013-9519

Ph. 913-879-2587 - 7:30 A. M. - 3 P. M CST Monday-Friday

24-hour Fax. 913-533-2497

any questions email me

Oh my goodness are you sure that she still has eyes???? That looks horrible! I'm sure you're doing all you can, though!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure, although I wasn't so sure at first either. I've been able to clean her eyes very thoroughly (except for all the swelling) and have been able to see her actual eye underneath it all. I think tonight, she might have even reacted to seeing the q-tip with the ointment on it coming toward her eye. Might have been something else too.

I will definitely be calling my feed store tomorrow. I'm hoping they carry the injectable, if not, I'll let you know. (Actually, we've got two feed stores in town, so I'll try them both first).

Tonight's care session went quite well. I was able to clean out more gunk from her mouth and tongue and syringe feed her about 4 syringefuls of watered down egg and probably 8 syringes of water. That's the most so far. Very encouraging.

Her eyes were also a bit easier to clean. I've been massaging the swelling, hoping to break up the hardened pus
sickbyc.gif
, so it'll migrate back to the eyes, so I can get it out. It seems to be helping, a very little bit, but that's better than not at all. I really think all the fluids will help with this too.

I can't believe how much time it's taking to care for her. I think right now that's the toughest part of this whole thing (for me anyway, I'm sure for her, the whole thing is tough..."you're gonna do WHAT to me???"
ep.gif
). I think I spent two hours this morning alone, cleaning, feeding, medicating. I know it'll all be worth it if she recovers and I'm feeling much more hopeful that she will.
fl.gif

Okay, my feed store carries the penicillin, so I'm getting ready to go get it. So, now I'll need that detailed info on how to administer it. Also what kind of needle should I use? I have some for a med that I take that are a 25 gauge and I could also get some insulin syringes from my mom.

Thanks so much for your help!!! She reacted to me walking up to her this morning. That's the first time since she got hurt.
big_smile.png

Let us know when you get back with the Penicillin exactly which one it is. Ask them, when you're there, if they have a dosage sheet. Many feedstores do.

I just bought my syringe/needle combos at the feedstore as well. I used the 3cc with the 22 gauge, 1" needle. This covers everything from chickens to geese, and cats and dogs.

On the injection, here's the article I originally wrote a while ago:
http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html

If you can't pull that website, let me know.

I'm back and unfortunately I didn't see your post before I left and it didn't even occur to me to ask for a dosage chart.

Here's what I got...Pen-Aqueous (Penicillin G Procaine injectable solution) 300,000 units per mL. It sounds like my 25 gauge syringes will work, since they're just a bit smaller than the 22.

Thanks for the great directions, very clear and easy to understand. I think that since I've done it for myself numerous times, I won't have any problem doing it for her. So all I need to know now, is how much to give her. Thanks Nathalie, you've been an invaluable help to me.

I'm going to go put my baby down for a nap now, and then I'll tend to Jennifer while he sleeps.

The only thing to worry about with a smaller needle is that Pen-G is very thick and its particles are large. Be sure to shake the bottle very thoroughly to get everything into suspension

It'll be a bit hard to draw, but thankfully you don't have to draw much. Is she a standard? The dosage for an average hen is 1/4cc every other day for a total of three or four dosages. Apparently it's a bit difficult to overdose, but as she's little I wouldn't go any more than that. If she's tiny, perhaps a tad less.

Pen-G is a concentrated drug, which is why I asked for specificity on the type of pen - so thank you for your answer.
smile.png
You can give it every other day, unlike most antibiotics.

Also be entirely sure that there's no blood in the syringe before plunging as pen in the blood is a sure thing killer, unfortunately. i've read that some people do the injection on the back of the neck. But I'm leary of hitting a bone or the spine there. So I pick the big muscle instead. She's so quiet - you can use your judgement on this if you don't have a helper. Just check for blood first.

With injections, there's always a chance that things would go wrong. But hopefully this will instead get that infection from the inside and help her heal even quicker.

I'm getting ready to do her nightly cleaning/feeding. I'll also be giving her her first injection tonight. When I did her afternoon cleaning, I noticed that the swelling has gone down some...just a little bit, no one else but me would notice, but at least it's progress. I sure hope the new antibiotic helps speed up her healing.

Also, went to close up the coop tonight, forgot to bring the flashlight out with me, and heard a rustle in the chicken/duck yard. We did put up some lights (but since they're solar powered, they're pathetically dim) and they were just enough for me to see the opossum!
barnie.gif
I cannot believe how small that thing is. Doesn't seem like it's possible that it could have taken away a nearly full-grown duck. I was only about a half hour later than I usually am and at least 3 hours earlier than the last attack.

Unfortunately, I was totally unprepared to do anything about it, so I just scared it away. I'll be calling the local humane society tomorrow to see what they can do for me. (I've been told that they'll provide traps free of charge and also take care of them. It's illegal to relocate an opossum here in Oregon and I don't know if I could just take a baseball bat to it.)

Oh, I think I might be able to try something a little more substantial than the watered down egg...not much, but a little thicker, since I'm still having to syringe feed her. Someone had mentioned baby food, did you mean people baby food? I've got an 18 month old, and have a couple of jars that we never used. One is strawberry/banana and one is squash. Could/Should I use some of these?

For tonight, I'll just do the egg. Will let you know how the injection went.
big_smile.png

I hope the treating goes well tonight.

Yeah I have a lot of mixed feelings about possums. (Especially now that I had a horse come down with a debilitating disease caused by them.) But I still don't think I would be as happy shooting one as trapping it and having someone else 'relocate' it.

On the baby food, I bet they meant chick crumbles. That's what I would recommend and have used, myself, with injured birds. It'll give her a more broad spectrum nutrition than the egg, which has done it's job.
big_smile.png
It's wonderful to read that this is now an option!

You could even just use pellets, watered down, too if you don't still have starter/grower.

Looking forward to some more good news - this was excellent!

Back
Top Bottom