14 WEEKS-HIS FIRST CROW?!

Punk-Rock_Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
High Springs, Florida
This morning I got up and started my usual 6:00 am routine of feeding my animals, as I went into my garage to get my dogs food and was greeted by my usual "Good Morning!" quack through the garage window, from Grace, our duck. After I opened my garage and the light kicked on from the garage door opener, I heard the craziest sound I ever heard from my chickens. I at first thought my wife's cat got in there and had a chicken. But when I look out the window I was just in time to see our Barred Rock Rooster doing what I can only gues was his first attempt at crowing, if thats what you would call it!LOL He sounded like he was gargling rocks!
lau.gif
gig.gif
He did this about 6 times or so, and it was sooo funny! He is only about 13 to 14 weeks old. Isn't this pretty young? I was told before that they usually start around a year old or so. Also, do they get louder as they get older? If they don't than I am going to be VERY happy, because he wasn't that loud at all.
fl.gif
My ducks morning quack is louder...also, could my duck have spured him on to crow this early? Like I said, she has a pretty loud morning greeting, but is very quiet all other times.
caf.gif
Any ways, that's all I wanted to know, is this really young? And do they get louder later on?(I know he will get better at it, I hope)

Last edited:
I am not sure, but I have a young polish rooster that is trying to learn to crow and it is not like anything else I have heard in awhile. It is too funny. I am guessing he is about 3-4 months old.

My EE's started around 8 weeks, but it was pretty pathetic. Kind of sounded like they were saying Uh-oh. Unfortunately they will get louder.

My EE, George, the hen-pecked boy started to crow at about 7-8 weeks. What a shock? Well, not so much I knew his tail feathers looked a little different. Of course, now he only has 4 tail feathers left.

His crow is getting more consistent, but sounds more like a cartoon character.

Most of the roosters i have hatched here start crowin at 7-10 weeks old. I have one in the basement right now who is 12 weeks old and just started to crow, he sounds like a baby calf going MOOOOOOOOOOO its hillarious

I know...It sounds nothin like I expected. If I hadn't seen him do it I don't thing I would have know what it was. Like I said, I thought the cat got one of em. I just spoke to my neighbors, I told them he may start crowing soon, and if it's too bad not to worry, I'll get rid of him so that they don't get mad. I was told they would get mad at me if I got rid of him for crowing!
celebrate.gif
I have SUCH great neighbors!! They said that they grew up on farms and LOVE the sound of a rooster! I HAVE to give them a BUNCH of eggs. I just hope they start laying soon so that I can.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom