140 tomato plants and counting....:D

Yayy goodluck with your plants! My grandfather has about 30-50 every year and always gets hit with massive blight (spelling?) Do you have that problem down where you live? I bet its much drier there...

Quote:
We have blight too. Blossom end rot is our biggest worry other than tomato worms, but the chooks will take care of both those issues
smile.png

Quote:
We have blight too. Blossom end rot is our biggest worry other than tomato worms, but the chooks will take care of both those issues
smile.png

I always save a few tomato worms from my papas garden and grow them out. They have the most beautiful months !
http://www.gardengrapevine.com/TomatoWorm.html
At least in this area LOL....

Ya know that'd be awesome if they didn't eat up my tomatoes
wink.png
Pretty moth...ugly worm
big_smile.png

I had an awesome experience with my tomatoes...okay so the entire garden except carrots, and watermelon! I have about 100 started plants in my green house in the living room! I will be adding two more varietes of sweet peppers and tomatoes and I have two people lined up to purchase starts from...I just dont know how much to charge...also I am raising three hens for a friend and dont know how much to charge...she wants pullets...no roos allowed in town! Ha Ha! City folk!
tongue2.gif

I have Roma, Cherry , beefsteak and another kind i cant remember!

Last edited:
Quote:
I was thinking 50-75 cents a plant for the tomatoes depending on what the stores are charging. I know last year they were outrageously priced and I could have sold A LOT for a lot less! For the pullets, I'd charge $1 per week to cover feed costs. It really depends on your area too. Research the cost of pullets for your area by visiting Craigslist and see what everyone else is asking.

Quote:
Nice set up! I'd like to have something like that some day. For now they are all over my patio table I brought in and put in the middle of the livingroom
lol.png

Quote:
Broccoli has a natural chemical in the plant that kills blight. Once you have blight it is in your soil. It may take a few years but here is what I did and it really works. I don't know what university did the study but I read about it in Organice Gardening over 15 years ago and I am still practicing it. I plant my tomatoes two by two and and put a broccoli plant in the middle.

Tom Tom
Broc
Tom Tom
Broc
Tom Tom

I don't harvest the broccoli I just chop it up in the fall after I havested all of the tomatoes. I don't leave any tomato plant debris or fruit in the garden at all. It also helps to mulch your plants so the soil doesn't splash up on the leaves since the blight is in the soil. This really does work I have used it ever since I have read about it and I have great tomato plants.

Back
Top Bottom