Ended 14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along—National Poultry Day

My chickens mean a lot to me. Ever since we got our first four on my birthday, I haven’t been able to detach myself from their lives. Being able to raise them and bond with them is incredibly rewarding, and watching them fully mature and live a good happy life is incredible too. But raising them has also taught me to value life. As much chickens have thrived, lots of others have met unfortunate ends. I’ve learned that I can’t dwell on a single loss and believe that life is hopeless, I instead learn to honor their experience of being alive, and our time together. Their losses will help me learn to care for future generations better as well, and I have to thank them for their advice. They keep me reminded that I am needed in the real world, and help pull me from the online distractions. I can come to them when I am feeling down, as they don’t judge me for my emotions, and just enjoy me being there with them. They are also wonderful inspirations for my art and storytelling!

This photo is of my most precious chicken Periwinkle; he was the foundation of my understanding and acceptance for the cycle of nature, and he was also one of the victims of a painful experience (hawk attack). One day he was there and brought so much joy, but the next day he just disappeared. As distraught as I was, that was when I learned I can’t let this single experience affect my admiration and care for the rest of the flock to come, and I have to accept things as they were. I still miss him a lot, but I have found healthier ways to honor him. Perhaps one day I will see him again
2081B534-00C9-453C-96BA-A1939BD6A978.jpeg

My chickens mean a lot to me. Ever since we got our first four on my birthday, I haven’t been able to detach myself from their lives. Being able to raise them and bond with them is incredibly rewarding, and watching them fully mature and live a good happy life is incredible too. But raising them has also taught me to value life. As much chickens have thrived, lots of others have met unfortunate ends. I’ve learned that I can’t dwell on a single loss and believe that life is hopeless, I instead learn to honor their experience of being alive, and our time together. Their losses will help me learn to care for future generations better as well, and I have to thank them for their advice. They keep me reminded that I am needed in the real world, and help pull me from the online distractions. I can come to them when I am feeling down, as they don’t judge me for my emotions, and just enjoy me being there with them. They are also wonderful inspirations for my art and storytelling!

This photo is of my most precious chicken Periwinkle; he was the foundation of my understanding and acceptance for the cycle of nature, and he was also one of the victims of a painful experience (hawk attack). One day he was there and brought so much joy, but the next day he just disappeared. As distraught as I was, that was when I learned I can’t let this single experience affect my admiration and care for the rest of the flock to come, and I have to accept things as they were. I still miss him a lot, but I have found healthier ways to honor him. Perhaps one day I will see him againView attachment 3438891
I am so sorry, :hugs what a beautiful handsome boy he was! 💖

Back in 2021, I started being in the chicken coop a lot more. I got into chicken photography, would dress the chickens up, and made stories about them. Last year, my grandmother got cancer. It was really hard. I went to my chickens for comfort, especially to Odile, my lap chicken. After she passed, I would just sit in a rocking chair for over thirty minutes, with Odile on my lap, and would remember things like making maps with my grandma, or building coops with her. It was then that I realized the importance of chickens in my life. Below is a picture of Odile.
Sorry for such a long blurb.
DSC02805.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG
Poultry significantly changed my life. Ever since I hatched my first quail, King Bob, I knew that I wanted to be an ornithologist (I'm not in college yet) (Ornithologists study birds). Having these creatures gave me a substantial peek into the lives, behaviors, and needs (and genetics) of birds, including wild ones around the world.
They also taught me where to hold my affections. A year ago, I was closer to them than I am now. A year ago, I learned to let things pass away, especially these birds. They shouldn't hold the chief of my emotions. I still love them, but I still love my friends better.

National Poultry Day is an annual observance that celebrates the role of poultry in our lives. Observed on March 19th every year, this day serves as a reminder of the importance of the poultry industry.

The day also acknowledges the hard work and dedication of farmers and others involved in the poultry industry who work tirelessly to ensure a steady supply of safe, nutritious, and affordable poultry products.

Whether you're a poultry enthusiast or a farmer, National Poultry Day is a great opportunity to celebrate this important industry and the many benefits it brings to our lives.

Prizes:
  • 3-month PFM! to at least three winners

Rules:
  • An entry is one picture of your domestic poultry and a short blurb about how/why poultry is important to you.
  • One entry per member.
  • The picture needs to have been taken by you.
  • You cannot use a photo that won an award in another BYC-sponsored contest.
  • ALL pictures MUST be uploaded to BYC and not hosted on other image sites, personal websites, etc.
  • All BYC rules apply: Terms of Service (Rules)
  • Entries will be accepted until March tbd, 2023, at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
Note: We will use a random number generator to select our winners for this Contest.

If you have not joined the fun in the 14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along thread, please drop by and say hello here!

I'll try to enter soon!

Poultry are important to me because like some other people have said it helps me escape reality. I knever ever knew I would click with my chickens like I did until I bought some. Since then I have become an absolute chicken freak, and I love it! One thing that I will always love, is how my flock is always happy to see me. I can be coming home from work, had a really bad day, and when I see my little big flock RUNNING to greet me as they all stumble over each other and clamber around things to get to me, I smile, every time. Poultry are just amazing creatures, they produce a food source everyday (hopefully) neatly in a nesting box. My flock supplies eggs for around 10 different coustomers/families, plush family. They have great little personalities too. Poultry is just the best ❤️
717F4472-11F5-47BD-AC1B-FC46F3CA380F.jpeg

I have always wanted to live surrounded by trees and nature, not looking at other homes or hearing cars whizzing by. When I decided to quit working (I think they call it retirement), I knew I would have to find a hobby to keep busy. And here we are..

My flock bring me serenity and peace, and that is very important for someone living in a rural area not too close to family, granddaughter, to be specific ❤️

Their presence keeps my head quiet, lowers my heart rate, and really helps to keep things in perspective. It reminds me everyday how blessed I am to live the life I want, where I am and who I am with. My flock love me and depend on me, and visa versa. It warms my heart ♥️
C9DD6475-C071-4D76-BA9B-D30CA99130E4.jpeg

I never knew that what felt missing in my life was poultry! Owning poultry brings me an inner peace, an excitement to learn all I can about them, and they fill my soul. A day of chicken TV in my backyard with a nice beverage is all I need to feel content and forget the chaos all around us. Can’t imagine a life without them now!

60220AB2-C8D5-47AD-A9CC-600029986823.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom