15% & 21% layer feed

jus10inla

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
Louisiana
While at atwoods last week i ran across some 15 & 21. Im not one to necessarily save a buck on everything but what are the factors of each one? Currently I always buy a 5 lb bag of grit and mix with a 50 lb all flock . And purchase from tsc as wife works there. But they rarely have a higher protein than the 17 all flock, or 20 nature flock ( onky
A 40 lb bag) and im just not a crumble fan .

Atwoods is near the deer lease, and i go at leasst once a month… so i’d be buying 200 lbs at a time. Whats the reason for so low on protein with one? I did purchase 2 bags of the 21% and so far everyone is eating it same as anything before

Attachments

• IMG_5195.jpeg
    IMG_5195.jpeg
    734.6 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_5193.jpeg
    IMG_5193.jpeg
    704.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5194.jpeg
    IMG_5194.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 28
When you go back can you get a clear picture of the analysis tags on each bag?

I just pulled up their website and it does not list the details of either feed.

What are you mixing grit in with the feed?
You should offer grit on the side and it's really only needed if you are feeding a lot of other stuff besides a pelleted or crumbled feed.

I only feed pellets. Very rarely any treats . And thats a 12 oz cup of mealworms for 27 chickens & 11 biddies, maybe 1 or 2 times a week.

I was having soft shell issues with a couple of my birds ; and they werent eating it when i offerrd it on the side. Within 2-3 wks of mixing it all together the issue stopped.

Yes, will do on label. Bringing one of the tower blinds maybe next weekend. Fyi @Kiki , your in houston area correct? This store is In Nacagdoches.. and prety sure they got some in lufkin . It definitely blows tsc out the water with options. Ive shopped here for years. Well hell, even before i was in the deer lease and lived in Bridge City / Port arthur i was coming up

this is the grit i use., they wouldn’t touch the oyster shell given extra choice or mixed with feed. But let an egg fall they go nuts!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5262.png
    IMG_5262.png
    575 KB · Views: 26
this is the grit i use., they wouldn’t touch the oyster shell given extra choice or mixed with feed. But let an egg fall they go nuts!!!!
Grit doesn't increase calcium intake, it's to help chickens digest stuff... Grit is not the same thing as oyster shell...it can't be substituted to increase calcium. :oops:

Less protein means cheaper price. Like high quality dog food that has higher meat protein and has a higher price tag you can feed less of it. Always offer grit on the side, I use sand bags for grit. It has smooth small pebbles unlike the sharp shards in the dumor grit.

This is t help them lay eggs/isn't added calcium. This is only needed if you feed them other stuff besides a pelleted or crumble feed.

Back
Top Bottom