15% & 21% layer feed

Ok. Will stop adding grit then. Will start tryin oyster shell on side again
I have 8 chickens and it *seems* like they don't touch the oyster shell - it lasts for a VERY long time, and I rarely see them eating it. But they DO eat it, and from what I understand, each hen will take what they need. You might still get a rubber egg here and there. Issues other than calcium deficiency, can cause it (like heat stress, new layers, other stressors, etc.). If you used flaked shell before, try crushed - or vice versa... :)

P.S. If your girls truly will not eat oyster shell, Scratch & Peck has a Limestone supplement as an alternative (but I've read calcium from limestone isn't as easily absorbed as from oyster shell).

I did purchase 2 bags of the 21% and so far everyone is eating it same as anything before
Zooming in on one of the pics.. it says 21% protein, 3% fat, and 4.5% calcium...

The flock raiser and all flock will NOT have the calcium mixed in. It's a wiser choice for flocks that include juveniles, molters, broody's, or roosters.

When the calcium is already mixed in.. the layers consume WAY less if any of it on the side. When using flock raiser or other feed closer to 1% calcium is when the layers will consume more of the side oyster shell.. different from grit. Higher volume layers like leghorn and gold sex link.. will need more OS than lesser volume layers like Marans.

What is the age of birds you are feeding?

Attachments

• IMG_5265.png
    IMG_5265.png
    454.1 KB · Views: 8
I have 4 or 5 girls who go broody, and this latest molt kicked there ass. A few are still molting
This is a good reason to use the higher protein (amino acid) feed. Despite having only 2% digestible protein in their raw form, feathers themselves are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids.

Currently I always buy a 5 lb bag of grit and mix with a 50 lb all flock
Are your birds free ranging?

I was having soft shell issues with a couple of my birds ; and they werent eating it when i offerrd it on the side. Within 2-3 wks of mixing it all together the issue stopped.
I'm surprised you haven't had more issues if you haven't been supplementing calcium (or using "layer" already).. Younger birds will sacrifice it from their bones to lay hard shelled eggs.. (Maybe they are getting lots on pasture??) Grit in and of itself is NOT sufficient to supply calcium for egg laying. I cannot explain how your softee's went away, unless it helped digest whatever they're getting elsewhere (pasture). Also you should look into getting grit from your other store.. all TSC offers is that over priced crud with probiotics mixed in.. most other local feed stores offer grit for about $15-18 for 50#!

yea I’ve always fed all flock from 2 months on. Before that is starter.
So many "starter" feeds are lower in nutrients (18% protein) than the all flock type these days (Starter was all 22% protein back when I first started keeping chickens 10+ years ago) .. All flock and flock raiser are almost always higher in amino acid content.. and sometimes other vitamins as well since they're made to support ducks/turkeys/etc..(niacin for example, is not required by law to be on the guaranteed analysis tag so isn't, but made clear when contacting the company)..

As I type this I see a new one called "all flock maintainer" that is only 16% protein.. so it's important NOT to go according to what "they" call it for a marketing terms.. but rather read the labels. The main difference is ALWAYS protein and calcium content.

Birds NOT in lay fed >3% calcium LONG term.. and if also genetically predisposed somehow.. may experience conditions like gout, kidney failure, and death. In youngsters.. it may stunt growth and delay the onset of laying.. (either excess calcium or too little protein).

But too little calcium is also very detrimental.. egg binding for one, if a lady can't push out a softee.. can be deadly within 48 hours. Aside from the brittle bones that might occur long term.. the muscles themselves need calcium to work and be able to contract.

Wow, those are some cheap prices in your first post! I'm gonna have to see what my LFS has on offer and give them another chance.. see how things are running now.. which products are available and turn over rate.. since that was my main reason for leaving.

Sounds like a fun flock you guys have got there!

Younger birds will sacrifice it from their bones to lay hard shelled eggs.. (Maybe they are getting lots on pasture??) Grit in and of itself is NOT sufficient to supply calcium for egg laying. I cannot explain how your softee's went away, unless it helped digest whatever they're getting elsewhere (pasture).
@jus10inla, since this is brought up, do you have a lot of limerock (may be the same as limestone - we call it limerock) in your soil?

No. Its a good mix of hard clay in portions then swamp mud on the other end

@EggSighted4Life , i do not free range. Except for weekends when i can be outside with rifle.
There yard is a covered area 30 ft x30 ft, and a 7 ft x 7 ft grow out pen

Back
Top Bottom