15 hours to build coop and 6 hour to build run

dawj

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Central NH
Got out of work this afternoon and worked til done 6 hours later in the dark.
89258_img_6848.jpg

89258_img_6849a.jpg

Recycled metal roofing (FREE)
89258_img_6850a.jpg

Rain barrel moved from house to Run Square foot garden used to be where coop and run is now
89258_img_6851a.jpg

Planted Peas all around Run over hardware cloth skirt
[/img]
89258_img_6852a.jpg

Wrapped Hardware cloth inside coop of pop door
89258_img_6855.jpg

Wrapped Hardware cloth laying on ground over door sill plate for extra security
89258_img_6854a.jpg

Ran rope for pop door straight back to people door for easy access when filling water every morning
big_smile.png

89258_img_6856.jpg

9 Ladies love to roost in front of window on 36" board That wont last with 6 buffs Orpintons
Orig. post of building coop 12 hours one day and 3 hours on another
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=514224

21 Hours of building but many hours of planning and drawing and since I get home after dark many many hours reading on this page. I want to thank everyone on this page. This site is so wonderful and so educational I got to skip mistakes made by others because of their post. I am sure in time I will find something’s I should have done different. It seems like every day I changed plans and drawings due to post on here. I am hoping the 10x10 run will be big enough for the 9 girls it seems small to me. I let them in the run for about an hour while I was putting up gutter and rain barrel and spreading bags of soil and planting peas etc. I really planned ahead on coop and run buying lumber in lengths to have minimal waste and cuts. I cut 99% of the 2x4's for the run before I started going like a mad man screwing them all together.

Last edited:
I'm AMAZED at how much you got done in a day!!!! Wow! It took us 2 weekends just to build a coop, and we still have to build their permanent run. Great job!

Very nice!
clap.gif
Looks like a well thought out set up. Really like the gutter and catch barrel for watering.

Suggestion, since you are using a fount inside and chips as litter. Get a large metal pan or kitty litter pan and lay a old BBQ grill rack or a piece of expanded metal over it then set your water fount on it. This will serve as a catch for water spillage and help keep the litter dry and mold free. Also raising the fount to about breast high will reduce spillage too.

perchie.girl :

Wow Excellent. did you prefab some stuff like the side walls of the run. Are there posts dug into the ground or is the run resting on top like a lawn shed.

pop.gif
caf.gif

No pre fab and it just sits on top of ground in case I ever want to move it
smile.png

Quote:
I am using stall dry pellets in coop and the water feeder in coop is in a large planter bottom with 3 square patio block inside it with water feeder on top of block

Maybe I'll put the planter bottom pan on top of block with waterer in it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom