15 hours to build coop and 6 hour to build run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dawj, Jun 25, 2011.

1. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    Got out of work this afternoon and worked til done 6 hours later in the dark.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Recycled metal roofing (FREE)
    [​IMG]
    Rain barrel moved from house to Run Square foot garden used to be where coop and run is now
    [​IMG]
    Planted Peas all around Run over hardware cloth skirt
    [/img][​IMG]
    Wrapped Hardware cloth inside coop of pop door
    [​IMG]
    Wrapped Hardware cloth laying on ground over door sill plate for extra security
    [​IMG]
    Ran rope for pop door straight back to people door for easy access when filling water every morning [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    9 Ladies love to roost in front of window on 36" board That wont last with 6 buffs Orpintons
    Orig. post of building coop 12 hours one day and 3 hours on another
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=514224

2. cptbahama

cptbahama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    nice job but...
    21 hours total for all that?

3. dawj

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    21 Hours of building but many hours of planning and drawing and since I get home after dark many many hours reading on this page. I want to thank everyone on this page. This site is so wonderful and so educational I got to skip mistakes made by others because of their post. I am sure in time I will find something’s I should have done different. It seems like every day I changed plans and drawings due to post on here. I am hoping the 10x10 run will be big enough for the 9 girls it seems small to me. I let them in the run for about an hour while I was putting up gutter and rain barrel and spreading bags of soil and planting peas etc. I really planned ahead on coop and run buying lumber in lengths to have minimal waste and cuts. I cut 99% of the 2x4's for the run before I started going like a mad man screwing them all together.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  4. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I think all you are missing is a tv and a hughs.net dish on top of the coop [​IMG]

5. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I'm AMAZED at how much you got done in a day!!!! Wow! It took us 2 weekends just to build a coop, and we still have to build their permanent run. Great job!

6. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Wow Excellent. did you prefab some stuff like the side walls of the run. Are there posts dug into the ground or is the run resting on top like a lawn shed.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice! [​IMG] Looks like a well thought out set up. Really like the gutter and catch barrel for watering.

Suggestion, since you are using a fount inside and chips as litter. Get a large metal pan or kitty litter pan and lay a old BBQ grill rack or a piece of expanded metal over it then set your water fount on it. This will serve as a catch for water spillage and help keep the litter dry and mold free. Also raising the fount to about breast high will reduce spillage too.

8. BoondocksHQ

BoondocksHQ New Egg

Jun 24, 2011
    I really like the rain barrel set up.

9. dawj

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    perchie.girl :

Wow Excellent. did you prefab some stuff like the side walls of the run. Are there posts dug into the ground or is the run resting on top like a lawn shed.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

No pre fab and it just sits on top of ground in case I ever want to move it [​IMG]

10. dawj

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    Quote:I am using stall dry pellets in coop and the water feeder in coop is in a large planter bottom with 3 square patio block inside it with water feeder on top of block

Maybe I'll put the planter bottom pan on top of block with waterer in it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by