15 month old Delaware rooster has lost is tongue. How? What? Trouble breathing. Emergency

I got his tongue to finally come up where it could be seen. He pulls it way down into his throat almost immediately. He only shows his tongue when his wattles are pulled way down.
Oh, thank goodness he still has his tongue! Weird that he pulls it so far down his throat that it can't be seen 🤔 😳 but at least it's not missing. And good that he's eating a bit, too - sounds like there's reason for hope! Poor fella...

I made 27% starter grower into a mash that is wet but not soupy. The consistency of grits. He is eating that. Slow but he is getting some in him. I need to figure out how to get his sinus area above his beak opened up. Wife thinks we need to just start with a Q tip that is damp and take the chunks off of the entrance first. After he has eaten all he wants we will see. I know a Nettie Pot won't work on a chicken.

I picked up one of the other Roosters tonight in the coop and inspected his mouth. His was pink instead of purple and his tongue came all the way up and out and it came to a point which makes me think he tried to eat something that cut a little off the end of his. I think all I can do is get good food in him and antibiotics now.

You say that his beak smells bad. The lower inside looks yellowish white. I wonder if he could have canker (trichomoniasis,) a protozoan infection that can affect the beak throat and crop. It smells bad, and is a disease that is carried by pigeons. Metronidazole or Aqua Zole is a drug that treats canker. Her is some reading about canker to see if you think that it what he might have instead of an injured tongue:
https://poultrydvm.com/condition/canker

Can you post a picture of the cloudy eyes of the hens? Terramycin ointment from feed stores is very good to use in the eye. Does your rooster with the tongue problem have nasal drainage? I don’t see anything abnormal about the roof of his beak. That slit in the roof of the beak connects with his sinus cavity.

Did not find a single cloudy eye hen this morning. I guess that is good in a way. The big boy is eating a little scrambled egg on his own and drinking on his on the morning. He's still wheezing. Hoping still his meds arrive on time. Until then he is kept warm with food and drink and some B complex. If anyone sees anything I can do better under the circumstances please let me know here. He seems to be keeping his tongue up where it can be seen more also. He seems to have given up on trying to crow. Not enough wind in him for that still.

Back
Top Bottom