15 month old Delaware rooster has lost is tongue. How? What? Trouble breathing. Emergency

LTAY1946

Chicken Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
Sep 8, 2022
South Alabama
I heard him try to crow this morning but no way to catch him until he got on the roost in his coop tonight. I checked his throat for smell and it stinks. That is when I saw that he has no tongue. Is there any hope of him surviving? This is a first time for this for me. I hate to lose him for both his sake and mine. He is a free ranging pet that helps me do the feed transfer from the bin to the hanging feeders. He gets up on the bin and supervises me.

I heard him try to crow this morning but no way to catch him until he got on the roost in his coop tonight. I checked his throat for smell and it stinks. That is when I saw that he has no tongue. Is there any hope of him surviving? This is a first time for this for me. I hate to lose him for both his sake and mine. He is a free ranging pet that helps me do the feed transfer from the bin to the hanging feeders. He gets up on the bin and supervises me.
I’m sorry :hugs

Does it look like his tongue was ripped completely out? Is it bloody? Chickens need their tongue to help push food to the back of their throat to swallow as far as I can recall...

Does it look like his tongue was ripped completely out? Is it bloody? Chickens need their tongue to help push food to the back of their throat to swallow as far as I can recall...
There is no sign of a tongue at all. He is eating scrambled egg made with milk. Not a lot fast but is eating. He is in a warm room. I don't think he would have survived a cold night with his empty crop. I was trying to get him over to the feed bin last night when I tripped and fell in the coop. He had an empty crop so he may had already lost his tongue. I thought I could see blood around his beak but in the poor light I was not sure. I can't see any part of a tongue attached in his throat.

I recall a post from June where a member updated an old thread about how a vet fixed their chicken’s missing tongue (it had emerged through the neck, from underneath the entire beak!) Probably unrelated, since you don’t see any evidence of a tongue at all, but thought I’d share in case it proved helpful. 🤞🏻
Thank you. I wish there was a poultry vet in my area. I'm sure there are but not in private practice. Here in the heart of a lot of broiler houses there must be some.

Back
Top Bottom