15 month old Delaware rooster has lost is tongue. How? What? Trouble breathing. Emergency

I just went to check on my beloved boy and he was standing up and eating and his comb is has changed from a dark purple to a bright red again. Still not crowing but is not struggling to breath and is not wheezing. On top of everything I'm happy to see chicken poop in his kennel. Finally. I've never been so happy to see chicken poop in my life. Now I am not sure what to do with the meds I have coming. I know not to give one or two antibiotic meds and just stop because of the damage that can cause with creating a resistant strain of bacteria. I'm at least holding him indoors in the warm room and keep a close watch on him. He is drinking in a strange way. He is not lifting his head as high as normal after getting a beak full of water. I think that maybe because of the damage done to his tongue. He must have tried to eat a sharp woody type leaf from a scrub oak that they like to hide in during the day. That is just a guess. He's eating scrambled eggs and starter grower mixed together.

Such good news!
He looked so bad a couple of days ago I really had no hope of him making it. I still worry about how he is drinking. He buries his beak in the water but hardly lifts it up to swallow like chickens normally do. He also is not doing as good at eating just crumbles of chicken feed. He can eat scrambled eggs really well. I'll be able to spend time with him tomorrow but Saturday time will be limited. About 24 less fortunate roosters are have a field day at freezer camp. They were hatched for that purpose. No more factory farmed dumpling boys.

My rooster is crowing again. He appears to be totally healed with the exception of the missing tip of his tongue. He is eating crumbles again now without having to wet then down until they are like grits. He is his normal spunky self too. I'm going to make a zip tie band for him and put him back in the coop Saturday night I think. Not going to give him any medicine now. He is missing his girls I know. I'll keep a close eye on him morning and night. From death throws to what appears to be a fully healed guy. I love it. Thanks to all who have made suggestions to get him back well again.

My rooster is crowing again. He appears to be totally healed with the exception of the missing tip of his tongue. He is eating crumbles again now without having to wet then down until they are like grits. He is his normal spunky self too. I'm going to make a zip tie band for him and put him back in the coop Saturday night I think. Not going to give him any medicine now. He is missing his girls I know. I'll keep a close eye on him morning and night. From death throws to what appears to be a fully healed guy. I love it. Thanks to all who have made suggestions to get him back well again.
He is doing so much better, the hens must've missed him

He is doing so much better, the hens must've missed him
When they are out free ranging it seems each rooster has a few hens that hang with them. I need to get him back before they forget who he is. I'll put him on the roost well after they all have settled in for the night and hope all goes well in the morning at sunup.

Back
Top Bottom