15 month old Delaware rooster has lost is tongue. How? What? Trouble breathing. Emergency

I am sorry about your rooster. Do you have others where his tongue may have been pecked or injured? Is there any way to take a picture of inside his open beak with a light if someone helped you? I would offer him watery chicken feed, soft scrambled watery egg, and keep his water very clean. Perhaps he will fight this off and learn to eat without his tongue. An antibiotic in a small amount of food might help chances of fighting infection, or you could just treat without that. Amoxicillin (or Aqua Mox found online) for fish would be a good one. 250mg capsule twice a day would be the dose to aim for. Here is a link if you want to try that:
https://www.allivet.com/product/aqua-mox-amoxicillin/52208.html

I am sorry about your rooster. Do you have others where his tongue may have been pecked or injured? Is there any way to take a picture of inside his open beak with a light if someone helped you? I would offer him watery chicken feed, soft scrambled watery egg, and keep his water very clean. Perhaps he will fight this off and learn to eat without his tongue. An antibiotic in a small amount of food might help chances of fighting infection, or you could just treat without that. Amoxicillin (or Aqua Mox found online) for fish would be a good one. 250mg capsule twice a day would be the dose to aim for. Here is a link if you want to try that:
https://www.allivet.com/product/aqua-mox-amoxicillin/52208.html
Thank you so much. Will order the antibiotic today. I know it would be good to keep on hand. And yes we can get the picture of his throat as soon as help gets here. I did see him take a couple of drinks last night. The coop that he is part of that free ranges during the day is very docile. The roosters all get along fine. Even when young and rambunctious there squabbles were few. While out free ranging there are 40 hens or so for 6 roosters to keep track of.

I can see his nose is clogged up. That's why he is breathing with his head raised up high. I got his tongue to finally come up where it could be seen. He pulls it way down into his throat almost immediately. He only shows his tongue when his wattles are pulled way down. Meds are on order. 3 day delivery time. I did get two tablespoons of scrambled egg in him this morning. While I have you here @Eggcessive I have one or two hens in the same flock as this roo that are getting cloudy eyes. Usually just on one side. Is there a human type eye drop over the counter for that? Thank you for all the help.
BigBoy.jpg

I can see his nose is clogged up. That's why he is breathing with his head raised up high. I got his tongue to finally come up where it could be seen. He pulls it way down into his throat almost immediately. He only shows his tongue when his wattles are pulled way down. Meds are on order. 3 day delivery time. I did get two tablespoons of scrambled egg in him this morning. While I have you here @Eggcessive I have one or two hens in the same flock as this roo that are getting cloudy eyes. Usually just on one side. Is there a human type eye drop over the counter for that? Thank you for all the help.
View attachment 3708592
What happened to the roof of his mouth? It looks painful :(

Back
Top Bottom