15 week old pullet: sneezing and now lame, too!

colochicks24

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 26, 2013
Hi all,
First time poster. I've enjoyed reading the threads and have learned a ton from you all. I am eternally grateful!

I've had hens for several years, but haven't dealt with this situation before and I'm kind of at a loss. Flock last year was all killed by a sneaky fox. In March I got 3 new chicks. They are now laying and happy, healthy girls. 3 weeks ago, I got two more "started" girls (10-12 weeks old) from a farm nearby. They are in with the big girls but they have a little section of the coop where they can squeeze into (and the big girls can't) so they are protected. The little ones have food and water in there, but are also free to go out into the main coop.

The little ones came to me and were sneezing a bit, but didn't have any nasal discharge, etc., so I thought they were just adjusting to their new home. The sneezing didn't let up so I thought I should treat them with an antibiotic (Duramycin-10). About a week after I got them, I put antibiotic in all the water since they all had contact with each other. I treated for one week, then took them off of it. No change in the sneezing. This morning the little australorp was lame. She can't stand up, and she kind of flops around. No obvious injuries, and her nose is now blowing snot bubbles and crusty with dirt and snot. Still eating, drinking, pooping normally. No blood in poop. Eyes look healthy.

I put all of them back on antibiotic to hopefully protect the others, and I separated her from the other little one. They are both separated from the big girls now, and from each other. Any suggestions as to what this is? Can she recover? Are the other hens at risk?

Thanks so much for all your wisdom!

It seems like it is a respiratory disease. Since the Duramycin is not working, get another antibiotic. Continuing to use Duramycin will only build resistance to the antibiotic. Tylan50 or Tylan200 are good strong antibiotics to use. The Tylan50 dosage is .5ccs for bantams or smaller chickens, and 1cc for large fowl. For Tylan200, the dosage is .1-.3 ccs for bantams and .4-.5ccs for large fowl. Give either one of these medications to your birds for 3 - 5 days.

The respiratory disease may also be viral. If this is the case, antibiotics will not work. Just give the birds electrolytes, probiotics, and vitamins (but don't give probiotics while giving antibiotics). Keep them warm, well fed, and hydrated.

As for the lameness, it could just be weakness due to the effect of the disease. However, a vitamin deficiency is also possible. Start her on a course of vitamins (vitamin B is especially important).

Good luck! And, please keep us updated!

Mycoplasma Synovaie can cause sneezing & also lameness. There is some info at http://en.wikivet.net/Mycoplasma_synoviae and you can also use 'Search' here on BYC to find some good info.

Also, I would double-check your lame Australorp for a Slipped Achilles Tendon in her hock, just in case. There is info on that on the Poultry Podiatry page on the site in my sig.

Hoping for the best for you & your birds!
hugs.gif

Great, thanks for the suggestions!
Did you quarantine the birds before adding them to you current flock? Always keep new birds, even chick, in quarantine for 2-4 weeks, longer is better, I do 2 months, before adding them to an existing flock. This is to assess the new birds for any illness, prevent the spread to your existing flock, and if the new birds do need to be culled, due to illness, you won't have brought it into you healthy flock.

I haven't read anything on lameness, in conjunction with respiratory illnesses, although I might have lover looked the one that does cause it???? But I am a reader...so really don't think lameness is part of a respiratory illness...still I could be wrong. There are many diseases that do have lameness and cause respiratory issues though...seminolewind has a great link for one of them...there are so many now,...are there any other symptoms? I will find that link and post it, it's about marek's but has many other illnesses as marek's leaves them open to many other things by playing havock with their immune system...so a great over all read for most all chicken diseases...so sorry the little one is sick!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock

here is the thread that she posts on...tons of great info on this thread too...I would recommend, if you do read this, start at the end, as they are the most recent posts...but you should be able to compare your bird, to some of the ones on this thread and see if anything sounds familiar and seminolewind has the links at the bottom of her page, on this thread...sorry, it's getting late and I need to get some sleep, have to start my flock on corrid in am early..best of luck!

Other names for M. Synovaie include: Infectious SynovitisAvian MycoplasmosisInfectious SinusitisMycoplasma Arthritis so you can also do searches on those names to find more info.

M. Synovaie is somewhat related to Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, which is the illness that primarily causes CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disease).

Other names for M. Synovaie include: Infectious SynovitisAvian MycoplasmosisInfectious SinusitisMycoplasma Arthritis so you can also do searches on those names to find more info.

M. Synovaie is somewhat related to Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, which is the illness that primarily causes CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disease).
Thanks so much for this great info!
Update: I put her on electrolytes and vitamins but she seems to be getting worse. Both legs are now lame (it was just one when I initially posted). She's still eating and drinking but only if I put food and water directly in front of her because she can't really get herself around.
sad.png

I hope your little one starts improving, but I think your 3 young ones came from a farm with mycoplasma. You really need to keep them away from the other chickens, and need to clean their litter out and disinfect well after you find out what's going to happen. I would seriously think about putting the sick girl down and taking the other two back to the nearby farm for free. It is just not worth risking your flock to a chronic disease problem--this can stay with your flock forever. Here is alink to diseases that you may find interesting: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I hope your little one starts improving, but I think your 3 young ones came from a farm with mycoplasma. You really need to keep them away from the other chickens, and need to clean their litter out and disinfect well after you find out what's going to happen. I would seriously think about putting the sick girl down and taking the other two back to the nearby farm for free. It is just not worth risking your flock to a chronic disease problem--this can stay with your flock forever. Here is alink to diseases that you may find interesting: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Yep, I'm thinking the sick little one is beyond help, unfortunately. The other little one is sneezing but showing no other symptoms. Do you really think she needs to go too? (There are only two little ones total, not three.) If I keep the other one, she'll be the lone young one in the flock, which isn't a good idea, I know.

Back
Top Bottom