1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

15 week old RIR... Is this a rooster? seems to be the flock leader of my younger birds.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickie Baby, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Chickie Baby

Chickie Baby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    I'm no expert, but personally, I would say that that's a pullet. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  3. Chickie Baby

Chickie Baby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2014
    I do hope so... Her neck feathers are so long and shiny compared to my other RIRs. She squats already like many of my pullets, but thought "he" might have been trying to fool me. :th
    Thanks for the reply!

4. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    Quote: Glad that I could help!
    I had a rooster who tricked me. He looked just like a rooster, but never crowed like his brothers were doing. However, I couldn't keep five
    roosters,( Yes, they all turned out to be roos except for one.) so I gave them away to someone who wanted to start a flock. Guess who crowed as soon as his brothers were in the box to be transported to their new home? [​IMG]
    P.S. They were very pretty roosters. They were Speckled Stars. He was a Polish/Plymouth Rock mix. [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a pullet. Reds tend to have a more dominant personality, and after all, someone's gotta be the boss [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pullet

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by