15 week old SLWs. Roos or hens?

Akep

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2024
I am new to having chickens. We got these SLW chicks and they are now 15 weeks. These two have started getting combs/wattles and turning red. Do you think they are Roos or hens? Two photos of each! Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_3918.jpeg
    IMG_3918.jpeg
    842.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3920.jpeg
    IMG_3920.jpeg
    759.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3917.jpeg
    IMG_3917.jpeg
    393.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3912.jpeg
    IMG_3912.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Thank you!! I hope they are too 😊 there hasn’t been any crowing yet and they don’t seem to be acting any differently than the other 6 that don’t have the combs/wattles and redness

Thank you!! I hope they are too 😊 there hasn’t been any crowing yet and they don’t seem to be acting any differently than the other 6 that don’t have the combs/wattles and redness
Welcome to BYC! :frow

They're gorgeous pullets.. one with an incorrect straight comb.. which is very common.

Wyandotte boys are typically early showers of gender in my experience.. turning red by 6-8 weeks.

By around 10 weeks is when gender specific saddle feathers start to show and become more flowing by around 16 weeks.. It can be easy to be fooled about feather shape by the pattern, when in doubt place your hand or a sheet of paper behind the feathers to reveal their shape more easily. Images from google for reference..

1713363862799.png

1713363876921.png

Welcome to BYC! :frow

They're gorgeous pullets.. one with an incorrect straight comb.. which is very common.

Wyandotte boys are typically early showers of gender in my experience.. turning red by 6-8 weeks.

By around 10 weeks is when gender specific saddle feathers start to show and become more flowing by around 16 weeks.. It can be easy to be fooled about feather shape by the pattern, when in doubt place your hand or a sheet of paper behind the feathers to reveal their shape more easily. Images from google for reference..

View attachment 3803755
View attachment 3803757
So glad to be part of this group!

Thank you so much for this information. I have been following for awhile and decided to post one of my own! I have been leaning towards pullets but figured this group would be able to help me more! 😊😊

Back
Top Bottom