15th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Pics
does it count if they are “set” under a bird ?

I believe so! I have some under a broody hen and they didn't say that they don't count in the confirmation message I received after I committed to the hatch along!
ok thanks but i’m guessing for geese they would have to be set already so it’s too late now if my goose goes broody?

A few others are. I went back and reread the rules and didn't see anything that said setting has to be in an incubator.
My Baby Curely seems to be getting tired. She is a very protective goose. I finally saw her outide with the rest of the group at grape treat time in the afternoon. Then she wandered a bit, took a short bath and went back to work!

I wonder who is going to claim raising the goslings this year? Last year it was Curley job.:)

I told myself I’d candle the other two incubators tomorrow night but I’m too antsy…I want to candle them now! :rant

Day 04 today for Incubators B and C, Day 10 for Incubator A .. going to candle those ones again close to lock down to hopefully not risk loosing the ones we have strongly developing :fl

Only a week and a half for hatch day to begin!!
I can’t wait to see everyone’s hatching egg photos, don’t forget to post them in the Hatching Chicks Photo Contest if you guys do take photos!

Have 17 Bresse eggs in an NR360 that were due to hatch for Easter and I went to candle them today. The temp on the NR360 was showing 99.5, but the eggs were cold. The top of the incubator was warm, but the bottom where the eggs were was cold. I don't know when it happened, but the fan wasn't working. I candled five of them and none was showing any development.

On the chance that they just hadn't gotten warm enough to start the incubation process, I've put them into another incubator, just in case. This means I won't have an Easter hatch, but I won't mind so much as long as the eggs still hatch at some point...even if it's just a couple of them (I always try to be a "glass half full" kinda girl).
After putting the eggs in my 2nd NR360, I candled the eggs today and they are developing!

Attachments

• 20240320_185127.jpg
    20240320_185127.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 0
Today is lockdown day for me. I pulled the eggs and took out the turner and placed the silicone mat that I use in the incubator for hatching. It has a raised pattern on one side and smooth on the other. It has worked well in my last two hatches. I candled all my remaining eggs and all look viable. The air sacs are enlarging and pulling down on one side rather quickly now. I noticed quite a few rocking and jiggling ever so slightly. Pretty good for day 18. Should start hatching on Saturday. 👍🏻🤞🏻

My broody Jersey Giant is on day 12 with her 9 eggs. It’s been an ongoing battle to keep her at just the 9 I gave her. Every time get gets up for a drink one of the other girls jumps in the box and gives her an extra one.
IMG_4363.jpeg

Incubator is on day 10 still has 20 of the 21 eggs I started with. I pulled out one clear the other 20 look to be going as best I can tell some of the dark shells are very hard to see through.
IMG_4370.jpeg

I think my Light Brahma is thinking about going broody. She still goes up to roost at night so she’s not all the way there but she’s getting really comfortable in the nest box next to the jersey for several hours at a time the past few days.

My broody Jersey Giant is on day 12 with her 9 eggs. It’s been an ongoing battle to keep her at just the 9 I gave her. Every time get gets up for a drink one of the other girls jumps in the box and gives her an extra one.
View attachment 3777844
Incubator is on day 10 still has 20 of the 21 eggs I started with. I pulled out one clear the other 20 look to be going as best I can tell some of the dark shells are very hard to see through.
View attachment 3777845
I think my Light Brahma is thinking about going broody. She still goes up to roost at night so she’s not all the way there but she’s getting really comfortable in the nest box next to the jersey for several hours at a time the past few days.
Beautiful girl!

Back
Top Bottom