16-18 wk Black copper Marans tiny eggs

Patriciaab668

Chirping
Jul 12, 2023
I have 1 Black copper Marans laying she is about 16-18 weeks old been laying about a week every egg with the exception of 2 have been very small, the 2 others are still small but bigger than the others. I know it's the same chicken we monitor them on the camera ( my hubby is disabled and so he can watch them). I know its normal for them to start with little eggs and they get bigger but they reverted to small again.
I will post a pic of what she has laid does this look normal?

Attachments

• 20230813_123450.jpg
    20230813_123450.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 90
Thank you 😊. I was confused because I couldn't find anything about them starting small getting bigger then going back to small.
Thank you for this thread @Patriciaab668
@TheWasp
We've got (1) Black Copper Maran pullet within our Backyard Flock who’s turning 20wks this week. — She’s been showing signs of wanting to lay for a few days now, like snacking from the Oyster Shell bowl and thoroughly investigating the Nesting Boxes…
:drool

We’re very excited to see what her pretty Eggs will look like!
It’s good to know that these things come up, are quite common, and not to become very alarmed by it…

Thanks again,
- Johnna : )

Attachments

• IMG_6769.jpeg
    IMG_6769.jpeg
    477.4 KB · Views: 38
I have 1 Black copper Marans laying she is about 16-18 weeks old been laying about a week every egg with the exception of 2 have been very small, the 2 others are still small but bigger than the others. I know it's the same chicken we monitor them on the camera ( my hubby is disabled and so he can watch them). I know its normal for them to start with little eggs and they get bigger but they reverted to small again.
I will post a pic of what she has laid does this look normal?
We have a couple of Black Sexlinks that lay small eggs just like that - even the same color. They’ve been laying for just a few weeks and all of their eggs have been small. Some days one of them doesn’t lay and I was told it’s bc she is young and confused. We have two Red Sexlinks (same age as the BSLs) that lay larger, even a couple of huge ones, but mostly medium. I was told the size variance is bc of they are young.

Thank you for this thread @Patriciaab668
@TheWasp
We've got (1) Black Copper Maran pullet within our Backyard Flock who’s turning 20wks this week. — She’s been showing signs of wanting to lay for a few days now, like snacking from the Oyster Shell bowl and thoroughly investigating the Nesting Boxes…
:drool

We’re very excited to see what her pretty Eggs will look like!
It’s good to know that these things come up, are quite common, and not to become very alarmed by it…

Thanks again,
- Johnna : )
☝🏼
Our BCM pullet, Maisie, laid her 1st egg on Thursday, August 31st @ 21wks of age!! (just 10-days after I wrote the above reply) 🤓
Then, another one today after taking Friday off; She’s quite proud of herself — They’ve been consistent in size and color so far…
Also, we’ve been quite lucky, since our new layers have senior hens who are demonstrating exactly where to lay.
Last time, we had brand new pullets, all learning on their own. I had eggs everywhere in those first few months… In the run, in the yard, just outside the nesting box, etc.
— Maisie has laid in their designated nesting boxes just like a seasoned professional..!!
🤩🤗
IMG_6908.jpeg

Our 15 BCM’s just turned 26 weeks-STILL no eggs. Feeding yard ornaments with no return on investment is getting rather frustrating, as well as expensive!! Our 4 older hens have slacked off due to the fall change in temps and light. Uggghhhh!

Back
Top Bottom