16.5 weeks and the gold sexlink just squatted?!

debid

Free Ranging
10 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
I selected a GSL for the first time this batch and she's been ahead of rest of the assortment in comb development all along. She's just about done with her baby molt and red ears popped up all of a sudden. Still, I just about died when I saw her squat today! :th

I put the dummy egg in the nest box because that sign has meant less than a week to go with pullets past. I know they can be early but I have never had a pullet start before 20 weeks so she seems too young. And she's such a petite girl everywhere except her ridiculously fluffy bloomers. :lau

My older gold sexlinks did the squats for two-three weeks before I got an egg. I know typically people say roughly a week and they'll be laying once the do their submissive lady squats, but I have yet to see a hen who starts laying before two weeks after the fact. That's not to say that yours won't start laying next week but I wouldn't be surprised if she still has a couple weeks to go.

Hens can lay anywhere around 18 weeks. 16.5 is not too early. If they are too early however, they can get prolapsed vent and even die as their systems aren't ready for egg-laying yet. I would say your hens are not too early. Enjoy those fresh eggs!

My 15 week old barred rock squatted this am when I picked her up. She has big waddles and has been super red for a couple weeks now. I'm worried she will get hurt if she starts laying, she seems too small!

The first of my 5 Golden Comets started to lay at 16 1/2 weeks and all were laying at 20 weeks.
They are 14 months old and doing well. 32/35 eggs a week. GC

My GSL just laid her first egg in the nest box today. Got her from the farm store February 28th, so she's about 16.5 weeks. Found another in the yard that is hers too, I htink she laid that yesterday, or the day before.

My Welsummer, hatched on February 2nd of this year, squatted for me today. She's been busy practicing nest building for the last few weeks. at first, I was wondering if it was a ruse. I guess she isn't too young to lay after hearing about your GSL. BTW, when I picked up my lady, I could get nearly four fingers between her legs. Good birthing hips right there.

The little stinker waited until I left on vacation to start so now I only know it was while I was away (17-18.5 weeks). Shrug. She's laying little pullet eggs regularly but has somehow managed to produce two doubles so far. Shells are absolutely perfect and a rosy medium brown.

Waiting on the others to join in. Most look like it could be any minute.

Back
Top Bottom