16 day old chick makes like a purring noise but like a cricket should. I be concerned

Chickens are flock creatures, they're very social. I personally don't recommend groups less than 3 chicks, I generally tell people to get 5 because that leaves space for if you have to get rid of one due to it being a rooster ^^ Do you have a thermometer? And is anyone selling 2 week old chicks near you? It'll be best to get chicks around his age
Sadly no only tractor supply sell young chicks

Sadly no only tractor supply sell young chicks
Have you checked craigslist? If not TSC chicks would probably work, although you may see a little bit of bullying from your current little guy. I'm sure TSC would also probably sell thermometers that way you can monitor the temperature inside of your brooder, I don't have TSC in my state so I'm not sure exactly what they sell, but I assume they're like most other feed stores : D

Have you checked craigslist? If not TSC chicks would probably work, although you may see a little bit of bullying from your current little guy. I'm sure TSC would also probably sell thermometers that way you can monitor the temperature inside of your brooder, I don't have TSC in my state so I'm not sure exactly what they sell, but I assume they're like most other feed stores : D
Yea he's a little bully with my budgies I have 3 and i think i can get one in the flea market do u recommend or not?

Yea he's a little bully with my budgies I have 3 and i think i can get one in the flea market do u recommend or not?
Depends on the flea market. The only flea market I know of around me is a little iffy when it comes to their animals. I'd only get chicks who are 2 weeks, not older. Make sure they are;

-active but not flighty
-clear eyes and nose (no discharge)
-happily cheeping
-feathering in correctly (no bare spots)
-no wounds or injuries

Some flea markets might not be super clean or well monitored for animal/bird health (mine is Not) so judge the situation as you see it. If Anything seems off to you, just get young chicks. and I know you havent responded about it specially yet, please make sure to get a thermometer! especially if you get baby chicks and can't find any 2 week olds at the flea market or on craigslist.

Depends on the flea market. The only flea market I know of around me is a little iffy when it comes to their animals. I'd only get chicks who are 2 weeks, not older. Make sure they are;

-active but not flighty
-clear eyes and nose (no discharge)
-happily cheeping
-feathering in correctly (no bare spots)
-no wounds or injuries

Some flea markets might not be super clean or well monitored for animal/bird health (mine is Not) so judge the situation as you see it. If Anything seems off to you, just get young chicks. and I know you havent responded about it specially yet, please make sure to get a thermometer! especially if you get baby chicks and can't find any 2 week olds at the flea market or on craigslist.
I have a thermometer my bad for not saying just that I keep my room warm cause my budgies and yea I'll try to get another chick on Saturday or Sunday

I have a thermometer my bad for not saying just that I keep my room warm cause my budgies and yea I'll try to get another chick on Saturday or Sunday
Try to get two! Trust me, it'll be better in the long run : D I don't keep indoor pet birds like budgies so I don't really know too much about them, how warm is warm? either way I'd probably turn the little guys light back on tonight, keep us updated this weekend when you go look for chicks !!! : D

Try to get two! Trust me, it'll be better in the long run : D I don't keep indoor pet birds like budgies so I don't really know too much about them, how warm is warm? either way I'd probably turn the little guys light back on tonight, keep us updated this weekend when you go look for chicks !!! : D
Forsure and warm like cozy warm its not cold tho and I'm going to try and get another chick thx for your help and yea my budgies sing so he's happy chirping too

Is he maybe making the contented chicken sound - I call it the grrrring noise. They either make it if they are happy or if their is something strange and unfamiliar nearby. My Littles will purr when they are snuggled under my hand or against my neck, or do the alarm grrr if something scary (like another animal walks by or a bit of feather fluff floats by). The high pitch is because they still have their baby voices. You can also tell if it’s a happy grrr or alarmed grrr by their body language. They are typically very alert when they give the alarmed grrr, but snuggly or even taking a dust bath when they give the contented grrr. Of course, it could be something else entirely :confused: .

Back
Top Bottom