16 Hours!!! CHICKENSTOCK - Berks Co PA 7/18 **photos**

I lost my job last week, so I am really trying to pare down my birds. We will only be keeping my neice's self-white polish

***oh, reminds me, I have a WC black roo. He was hatched in Jan. I think he's a bantam but I would not swear to it. He and the self white are smaller than my other polish***

My son's pair of Buff laced polish (unless the price is right on them)

Our Turkens - sans bowties - I have a roo a hen and some chicks of various ages

My lavender orp roo and hen and a handful of B/B/S orps.

Our jersey gieant chicks

oh, and our pair of blue slates, pair of bourbon red and our ducks.

Got to lessen the mouths to feed. Since I can't get rid of the dogs, cats or the kids. And, the horse market is really really bad right now so the horses stay too.

All I can say is, I hope our turn out is as good as it is shaping up to be - and/or the NC dept of unemployment comes through soon!!!!

But, all sucky life stories aside, I'm so looking forward to putting faces and REAL names on you guys! See you tomorrow!!

I just want to make sure I'm counting right before I make a case to hubs...

So between everyone...maybe about 70 different chicks/pullets for sale/barter?

And can anyone give me a ballpark on what someone normally asks for chick or pullet, or what they are looking to sell their own for?

I was actually looking at a website in Slatington, PA and was about to place an order when I saw this...we're first timers...correction..

I'm a first timer...hubby's a farm boy. I'm still stuck somewhere this week in the wonderment of snap peas. Lord knows what eggs will do to me. We've been getting farm eggs from a friend and I know I can use 24 a week.
smile.png
And I can pluck fresh killed ducks....so I'm a good candidate, right??

I would be curious what "standard" chicken prices are also. I'm not in the chicken business, so I'm not looking to profit from my few extras. Maybe just make back what I spent on them, and a bit extra for feeding and heating them....

That said, I would be happy to pay more to an actual farmer who relies on this sort of thing for a part of their living.

I'm only familiar with baby chick pricing....

Last edited:
Found out about Chickenstock on craigslist.
smile.png

New chicken owner - 1 guinea fowl, 1 rooster, 4 hens. Mixed breeds. Looking forward to coming out and meeting other chicken peeps.

Have a great night!

Amy

Ok ... I'm bringing a zesty Pasta.

I would love a polish, sebright and/or Frizzle

I'm bringing a Cornish Cockerel and a Astralorps Cockerel
And two red link Pullets 13 weeks old
(at least that's what I believe they are ...)

I'm willing to trade.

I'll bring name tags ... Just a thought.
I'm terrible with names.

OHH I have a couple chicken saddles and a chicken diaper ... will bring with.

Last edited:
Quote:
Just got back from Wal-mart. I bought name tags!! I'm horrible with names as well.

As for all the pricing questions, The more "specialty" the breed, usually the more the asking price. A good regular old RIR or other layer would probably cost about $8-$10 at the beginning of it's lay. The older the hen, the less the asking price generally.

Now in my case, I am selling based on breed and what I've paid and age. The orps will be a bit more expensive than the rest - because of how much I paid and the lines I bought and age. Whereas, my SL 10 day old chicks, well, they're $2.50. Which, is a fairly standard/average price.

Ok, I'll give a run down so those of you who are interested will know......
Sl chicks - $2.50
SL 3 mo old - $5

3 barred rocks, 3 australorps, 7 cochins, 2 red sex link, and 6 red something or anothers - all hatched out around May 20 - any of these $3 each

Orp chicks of various ages will run $6 to $8

Anyone looking to take my whole project flock - I have a negotiable price, see me tomorrow

WC black polish roo - I honestly think he's bantam, I'll take a poll tomorrow - $6

Blue - my beautiful orpington - $40

Blue slate turkey chicks - $10 ea

Turken chicks - $2 ea

Last edited:
Hey
It was a great day!

Meeting all of you and spending the day out around animals. I loved it!

My son enjoyed himself too, my daughter wished she had came once we told her what was all up.

BTW: lol My husband loves the duck we came home with, Thank you Steve and Christine.
He wants him as a house pet ...lol So now I'm doing some planning .lol
The little chicks are sweet as can be. Sarah I can not wait till theyy grow up as they are going to be Gorgeous! Duncan is keeping them in his room ...lol

SO:
Since I'm going to house them inside for now ...lol
I'm going to go get my other birds. and bring them home. s***w the neighbors ..lol

I do need to re home my Cockerels though.
hmm.png

I'll keep you all updated.

It was lots of fun and so nice to meet everyone who showed! I definitely think it was a success and next time will be an even bigger success! I think next spring when we do this again we will have quite a few more birds to sell!
smile.png

Holly I'm so glad everyone loves your new ducky! I clipped the wings of the other 2 today........they are just starting to figure out that they can use them! The funny thing is that they actually seem a little calmer overall with him gone...**shrug** lol

Holly you were a lucky **duck**!! I am so jealous I didn't see him first!

I want to thank everyone for coming. I think it was a big success. I know most of you were able to sell birds, so that was great. I was contacted by a gal who wasn't able to come who is looking for araucana hens - 2 of them. If anyone has any, pm me and I'll forward her info.

We WILL be doing this again in the spring, so start planning now! I know I sold 33 birds!!! Amazingly great day, Y'all!!
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom