16 Week Old Egg Laying

Yes, I am well aware of the changes in the length of daylight throughout the year, I follow it rather passionately. The Autumnal Equinox is just a few days away.

I don't really go by the 'stages' the feed companies subscribe to,
nor do I believe that 'organic' is really that, or superior.

I feed 20% Purina Flock Raiser to balance out the bit of 8% scratch grains and other treats I like to give, so I provide Oyster Shell(mix with crush eggs shells when I have them) in a separate container for the active layers because FR has low(~1%)calcium.

I encourage you to learn about the nutritive content on the feeds,
should be on a tag sewn into the bottom of the feed bags.
Also pay attention to the manufacturing date, many feeds on the shelves are older,
I don't buy anything more than a couple months old. MFG date should be printed on the tag and the sew strip.
View attachment 2340621
Thanks. I have a bunch of the organic layer crumble. I attached the nutrients.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200919-155920_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200919-155920_Chrome.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 3
Organ damage from calcium overdose may not show up for years. If your birds are just livestock and you plan on culling every couple of years as you go, that may not matter to you.

The other problem with using layer feed early is most layer does not have optimal protein for the fastest growing phase. Chicks are generally fed around 18-20% or so protein, some people offer even more. Adding in scratch, generally 10% or so protein, further diluted down the protein. I offer around 19% protein first 6-8 weeks or so, then reduce it to around 17% or so to start slowing rapid growth, then down to 16.5% once they're laying.
Tractor Supply gave us 1 bag of starter feed & then they were outside getting layer crumble, per Tractor Supply and what they told us. So for 6 weeks they got starter and then switched to Layer Crumble..

Back
Top Bottom