16 Week Old Egg Laying

They all act fine & are doing just fine. Never been sick. And are really happy chickens. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø
I know itā€™s hard to come back and read comments that say some things you were doing might not be best practice for your chickens. Just know everyone on here loves their chickens just like you and are trying to help. This education is free but is also priceless!
Iā€™m a new chicken keeper too and still have so much to learn. Iā€™m jealous yours are laying at 16 weeks! Mine with be 16 weeks this coming week and are nowhere near close :rantIā€™m so impatient!
I think you got some good advice! Provide oyster shell in a separate container so you no longer have to mix it into their food or treats. If you are interested there is a kind of food called ā€œAll-Flockā€ that you can switch to. You can use it for layers, any new chicks you get, roosters, etc. then you provide oyster shells on the side and youā€™ll be all set for the future!! Good luck!

I know itā€™s hard to come back and read comments that say some things you were doing might not be best practice for your chickens. Just know everyone on here loves their chickens just like you and are trying to help. This education is free but is also priceless!
Iā€™m a new chicken keeper too and still have so much to learn. Iā€™m jealous yours are laying at 16 weeks! Mine with be 16 weeks this coming week and are nowhere near close :rantIā€™m so impatient!
I think you got some good advice! Provide oyster shell in a separate container so you no longer have to mix it into their food or treats. If you are interested there is a kind of food called ā€œAll-Flockā€ that you can switch to. You can use it for layers, any new chicks you get, roosters, etc. then you provide oyster shells on the side and youā€™ll be all set for the future!! Good luck!
Some of my Hens are not close. 1 is laying (not loyally because she just started last week), and another one is going to start soon (she starts to crouch when I get near her lol, and her comb and waddles are big like the one who is laying now). The others are a bit behind šŸ˜‚. I just want my girls to have the BEST which is why I feed them organic. I appreciate the advise. I mean, nothing I can do now lol they're past 16 weeks old and no longer chicks. But will keep note for next time. I just wanted to make sure that when they start laying, that 1. It is OK to have soft shell eggs at first. 2. Make sure that I am doing the right thing from here on out. (Which means I will NOT give them Pellets until they are ALL laying). Which I dont know when that will be because its getting chilly in Massachusetts now and they're starting to molt for the winter months, which also means less egg production.

1. It is OK to have soft shell eggs at first.
Common with new layers.

2. Make sure that I am doing the right thing from here on out. (Which means I will NOT give them Pellets until they are ALL laying).
What do you mean by "pellets"?
Again.....
What are the protein and calcium percentages of these feeds?
'Crumble' and 'pellets' only tells us the shape of the feed,
need to know the vital nutrient content that's listed on the tag sewn into bottom of feed bag.

Which I dont know when that will be because its getting chilly in Massachusetts now and they're starting to molt for the winter months, which also means less egg production.
Cold doesn't trigger fall molting, shorter days do.
16 week old birds should be done with their juvenile molts and not molt again until ~18 months of age.

Common with new layers.

What do you mean by "pellets"?
Again.....

Cold doesn't trigger fall molting, shorter days do.
16 week old birds should be done with their juvenile molts and not molt again until ~18 months of age.
We have shorter days now. Sun used to be up at 430-5 and now isn't up till about 530-6 and used to go downat 8, now its set by 630-7 and will get shorter.

I was told to just give them Layer Pellets when they start laying. And I want to make sure i am giving them the best food (organic) at the right stages so since I bought them on May 24th from Tractor Supply. So they're 16 weeks old now. What Organic feed do you suggest and at what stages...

We have shorter days now. Sun used to be up at 430-5 and now isn't up till about 530-6 and used to go downat 8, now its set by 630-7 and will get shorter.
Yes, I am well aware of the changes in the length of daylight throughout the year, I follow it rather passionately. The Autumnal Equinox is just a few days away.

I was told to just give them Layer Pellets when they start laying. And I want to make sure i am giving them the best food (organic) at the right stages so since I bought them on May 24th from Tractor Supply. So they're 16 weeks old now. What Organic feed do you suggest and at what stages...
I don't really go by the 'stages' the feed companies subscribe to,
nor do I believe that 'organic' is really that, or superior.

I feed 20% Purina Flock Raiser to balance out the bit of 8% scratch grains and other treats I like to give, so I provide Oyster Shell(mix with crush eggs shells when I have them) in a separate container for the active layers because FR has low(~1%)calcium.

I encourage you to learn about the nutritive content on the feeds,
should be on a tag sewn into the bottom of the feed bags.
Also pay attention to the manufacturing date, many feeds on the shelves are older,
I don't buy anything more than a couple months old. MFG date should be printed on the tag and the sew strip.
1600544990914.png

Yes, I am well aware of the changes in the length of daylight throughout the year, I follow it rather passionately. The Autumnal Equinox is just a few days away.

I feed 20% Purina Flock Raiser to balance out the bit of 8% scratch grains and other treats I like to give, so I provide Oyster Shell(mix with crush eggs shells when I have them) in a separate container for the active layers because FR has low(~1%)calcium.

Also pay attention to the manufacturing date, many feeds on the shelves are older,
I don't buy anything more than a couple months old. MFG date should be printed on the tag and the sew strip.
View attachment 2340621
Thanks. I have a bunch of the organic layer crumble. I attached the nutrients.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200919-155920_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200919-155920_Chrome.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 3

View attachment 2340621
Aart: your bag says 20% protein but my Layer feed only says 16% protein.
Also your bag says itā€™s for broiler chickens. Do laying hens need the same protein level as broilers?

your bag says 20% protein
Yes, it does because it is.

Layer feed only says 16% protein.
Most layer feeds are only 16%....and meant to be the sole ration.

Also your bag says itā€™s for broiler chickens. Do laying hens need the same protein level as broilers?
Laying hens can survive and produce on less protein.
As I said in another post I like the higher protein so I can give other foods.
They actually only get about 18-19% when I figure in those other foods.

Yes, it does because it is.

Most layer feeds are only 16%....and meant to be the sole ration.

Laying hens can survive and produce on less protein.
As I said in another post I like the higher protein so I can give other foods.
They actually only get about 18-19% when I figure in those other foods.
Thanks for the clarification

They all act fine & are doing just fine. Never been sick. And are really happy chickens. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

Organ damage from calcium overdose may not show up for years. If your birds are just livestock and you plan on culling every couple of years as you go, that may not matter to you.

The other problem with using layer feed early is most layer does not have optimal protein for the fastest growing phase. Chicks are generally fed around 18-20% or so protein, some people offer even more. Adding in scratch, generally 10% or so protein, further diluted down the protein. I offer around 19% protein first 6-8 weeks or so, then reduce it to around 17% or so to start slowing rapid growth, then down to 16.5% once they're laying.

Back
Top Bottom