16-week-old pullet: pale, lethargic, but no other symptoms?

For years on BYC most people recommended 1/2 tsp of Corid powder to 1 gallon of water. Recently there has been much discussion about that dosage, and it is thought by some that 3/4 to 1 tsp/gallon water is better. The company that makes it has very confusing online info, so I choose to just recommend the liquid Corid. If someone wants dosage for the powder, I recommend 1 tsp per gallon which is probably the maximum you want to use.

For years on BYC most people recommended 1/2 tsp of Corid powder to 1 gallon of water. Recently there has been much discussion about that dosage, and it is thought by some that 3/4 to 1 tsp/gallon water is better. The company that makes it has very confusing online info, so I choose to just recommend the liquid Corid. If someone wants dosage for the powder, I recommend 1 tsp per gallon which is probably the maximum you want to use.
The 20% soluable powder is more concentrated than the 9.6% liquid, that's why the powder is recommended at 1/2 teaspoon. Why use more if it's not necessary? It's stuck in alot of peoples minds that more is better, which we know isnt true especially with chickens despite what is presented in online links. I've used the soluable powder at 1/2 teaspoon, works just fine. However, if others want to use more...that's up to them.

The Corid website says the the preventative (.006%) dose for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon and the treatment dose that's equal to 1 teaspoon of the liquid is 3/4 teaspoon (.012%). Since it's labeled for cattle, they don't list the .024% severe treatment dose which is 2 teaspoons of the liquid.

http://www.corid.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/CORID Slim Jim-All.pdf

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149

"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html

"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

-Kathy

Last edited:
FYI, there are ~960mg of amprolium in 2 teaspoons of Corid or Amprol 9.6 liquid (96mg/ml), that math is easy, lol.
2tsp = ~10ml, so ~10 x 96 = ~960ml. That in a gallon medicates water to the .024% severe outbreak dose.

My first pass at doing the math for the powder I calculated 560mg per teaspoon of the powder, but I need to double check that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if 9.5ml (912mg) or 2 teaspoons (~960mg) of the liquid are used, the same number of mg of the powder should be used, right? 1/2 teaspoon of the powder has 280mg of medicine in it.

If anyone can show me how to do the math on the powder and get more than 900mg I will shut up and never bring this up again, lol.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/816797/corid-and-amprol-dosing-and-data-sheets-preliminary-post

-Kathy

Last edited:
I've split the difference and am going with 3/4 tsp per gallon. The rest of the flock is guzzling it down, business as usual. The sick bird is still quarantined and is getting it in her water dish with some of that water mixed with her feed as a sort of gruel. She wasn't too interested in it at first, but as I dripped the water into the food dish, the movement caught her attention and she ate a fair bit of it as I sat there dropping it in a ml at a time.

Thanks to one and all for the guidance...I'll post an update in a day or two.

Last edited:
For those that don't like clicking on links here's a picture of the moderate outbreak dose amount (.012%)

Last edited:
Corid and Amprol Powder

• There are 200mg of amprolium in every 1 gram of powder.
  • 1 ounce = 3.5 tablespoons = 28.35 grams
  • 200 x 28.35 = 5670mg in 3.5 tablespoons of powder.
  • There are 10.5 teaspoons in 3.5 tablespoons
  • There are 20.5 1/2 teaspoons in 10.5 teaspoons
  • 5670mg divided by 20.5 1/2 teaspoons = ~276.58mg per 1/2 teaspoon
  • There are two 1/4 teaspoons per 1/2 teaspoon
  • 276.58 mg divided by 2 = 139.29mg per 1/4 teaspoon

• One 1/4 teaspoon = 139.29 mg
  • Two 1/4 teaspoons = 278 mg
  • Three 1/4 teaspoons =417 mg
  • Four 1/4 teaspoons = 557.16 mg
  • Five 1/4 teaspoons = 696.45 mg
  • Six 1/4 teaspoons = 835.74 mg
  • Seven 1/4 teaspoons = 975.03 mg
  • Eight 1/4 teaspoons = 1114.32 mg

Corid and Amprol liquid

• One 1/4 teaspoon of the liquid = 120 mg
  • Two 1/4 teaspoons of the liquid = 240 mg
  • One teaspoon of the liquid = 480 mg
  • Two teaspoons of the liquid = 960 mg

-Kathy

Last edited:
So, an update: she seems to be holding steady. Still slow, still a bit pale and mopey, but as far as I can tell, she hasn't declined any further. Yesterday was day 5 with the Corid (3/4 tsp / gal), so I've switched to plain water plus some vitamin/electrolyte supplements and will keep that up for another 4-5 days. I haven't seen any other signs of illness in the rest of the flock - they're all as lively as ever.

I'm hoping that the stability is a good sign, even if the recovery is going slower than I'd hoped.

The 20% soluable powder is more concentrated than the 9.6% liquid, that's why the powder is recommended at 1/2 teaspoon. Why use more if it's not necessary? It's stuck in alot of peoples minds that more is better, which we know isnt true especially with chickens despite what is presented in online links. I've used the soluable powder at 1/2 teaspoon, works just fine. However, if others want to use more...that's up to them.
I always respect your knowledge and advice as many do here on BYC. Even FredsHens said he uses Corid 1/2 tsp per gallon and it works. I really don't even like to mention the powder anymore because others tend to insist that higher amounts are needed. So I'll just recommend the liquid. I haven't ever used it, and hope I don't need it, although I am glad it's on my shelf.

It all boils down to the number of milligrams per gallon and I just don't know how to make people understand that. Maybe someone that writes better could chime in.
big_smile.png

Ibuprofen pills are a good example of that... Motrin 800 has 800mg of ibuprofen, but otc ibuprofen has just 200, right? Four of the otc pills are equal to one of the 800's.

Now think about Corid... There are 240mg in 1/2 teaspoon of the liquid and 278mg in 1/2 teaspoon of the powder, so if one thinks that the correct liquid dose is 2 teaspoons (9.5-10 ml), that's 912-960mg per gallon, so for the powder, one would want to pick an amount of powder that falls in-between those two numbers, it's not 1/2 teaspoon... 1.5 teaspoons is actually only 835.74 mg, so it's more than that, but less than 1 3/4 teaspoons which is 975.3mg.

Like you, I have always used the liquid, but I always thought there was something wrong about the powder dose recommendations, and there was, 1/2 teaspoon is much closer to the recommended preventative amount of 240mg than it is to the treatment amount, that is a fact.

The concentration of the product doesn't matter when you know how many mg are in a teaspoon.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom