16 weeks now, but not laying yet.

Audio51

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Paradise, California
I have 2 light Brahmas and one Americauana that are 16 weeks yesterday. I also have some Austrolorps that are 14 weeks and some Buff Orphingtons that are about 13 weeks. Their comb's are still pretty small and only a little pink. We are now in early November and the days are getting much shorter now. I know chickens are driven by light stimulation. Does this mean I won't get any eggs until Spring?

Your birds are just now at the very earliest of the laying range for high production breeds. Brahma's are not known for being spectacular layers anyway, so maybe no eggs from them until spring. The Amer and Austras may start laying during the winter or they may not.

I have to say, the reddish/gold bird in your pics isn't a buff orpington, it's a red sex link. That might be your first layer, mine have started as early as 17 weeks but that was in the middle of summer.

My light brahama lays wonderfully ! Every single day, but I must tell you your birds are not even close to laying. There combs are very small and they will have at least 1 to 2 months to go. The gold one may lay earlier, but the others, there known for laying way later. My ameraucana layer at 28 weeks and my light brahama laid at 26 weeks. You will get eggs, even in winter te new birds kick them out, my pullets are laying very well and there around 30 weeks old. I have to say my RIR pullets are by far the best along with my light brahama. Eggs every day! I have a RIR and ameraucana mix and she lays green eggs every day to. Buffs stopped laying and so did my austrolorps but there molting.

I thought they looked very red for Buffs!
th.gif
That makes me mad....I waited 3 weeks for them to come in and was assured by the feed store guy that they were buffs. I have read they tend to be quieter than many other breeds and we are trying to keep a low profile, but if they are good layers I guess it doesn't really matter as long as they are not noisy.

I guess I will have to be patient though. The only one even beginning to look the comb/wattles are getting red is the Blue.

Thanks for all the input!
clap.gif

i was starting to wonder the same thing, but i got my first egg today.:)
probably the blue, , but the combs are so super small yet on all your birds. You will know red lol, these are not nearly red or even much of a comb yet. I'm pretty surprised you got an egg. Your light brahama will be weeks yet .

Well..my hens started laying about 3 weeks ago so I am a happy camper! I get at least one egg a day from 5 hens and some days 3 eggs. Not bad for this time of year.... But I have one hen that is supposed to be an Ameraucana but have not seen any blue or green eggs yet...just brown. I have seen her in a nest box once, but can't swear she has laid. She and the Brahma are actually my 2 oldest by about 3 weeks over the sex-links. Could she just not be laying yet or could she actually be laying brown eggs?

Well..my hens started laying about 3 weeks ago so I am a happy camper! I get at least one egg a day from 5 hens and some days 3 eggs. Not bad for this time of year.... But I have one hen that is supposed to be an Ameraucana but have not seen any blue or green eggs yet...just brown. I have seen her in a nest box once, but can't swear she has laid. She and the Brahma are actually my 2 oldest by about 3 weeks over the sex-links. Could she just not be laying yet or could she actually be laying brown eggs?

Both are possible i think they can lay brown eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom