16 wk old rooster attacked daughter, new ? post #38

Wait 'til he roosts, catch him, and cull him. If you don't want to kill/eat him give him to someone who does. There are too many potentially nice roos out there to put up with one who isn't, especially when children are involved.

My roosters only jump on me one time, then they get a huge attitude adjustment. Just as soon as they start challenging me again, in the crock pot they go.

I have never had a rooster less than 6 months old actually attack me. So, please be careful with this 4 month old rooster that is chasing your child. It only takes a second or two to remove an eye !

I TOTALLY disagree with the "read this stuff before you cull him" comments. This animal, that has dangerous spurs on his legs, attacked your daughter. It's fine and dandy when it's only an adult involved, but this is a CHILD who will be unable to defend herself of he gets the drop on her. She could lose an eye or be permanently scarred in other ways.

I say screw the roo- if you aren't able to catch him and take his head, I bet he isn't quick enough to dodge a bullet.

I don't play games when it comes to my kids' well being. I'll take them over an animal ANY day pf the week.

Good luck!

Handle the roo as a chick, don't handle the roo as a chick... in the end it is the individual bird, and there are too many good roosters in this world to put up with one who doesn't respect humans.

I culled a whole "gang" of them today (three that I hadn't intended to but ended up there due to bad behavior). They weren't aggressive to me but they were making hens, smaller pullets, and my kids miserable. I didn't and don't feel bad about it for one second (and I wasn't sure I could kill anything a week ago). I don't see why anything should feel worried in my yard - and I don't see any reason for my kids to have to think about how to handle an aggressive rooster on a daily basis. One that's left got a little worried tonight when I pulled a hen off the brooder so I could change the water and she squawked like I was beating her. He'll only get a little worried that I'm interfering in his business about one more time and he'll go to (and I like him). These are pets and I believe they are "beings" but it's my job to protect my children and the other animals in my yard. Just my two cents - it's just not worth the risk to your children.

If it were a dog every single person here (almost) would say 'Get it put down before it hurts someone else'.

I don't particularly believe you can change an animals basic instincts once it's developed them and started to act on them, whether it be chicken, dog, cat, whatever even people who spend their entire lives in and out of prison.

By far the simplest thing, though heartbreaking for your family and especially your son, is to get a different rooster. Explain to him why his chicken has to go, although he might be more keen to keep his chicken and get rid of his sister - boys ! You could simply have an accident in the coop, for a four year old that might be an easier way to explain things.

If you can't catch him in the daytime, get him at night in the coop when it's dark. If you can't bring yourself to do the deed there and then, find someone who will do it for you.
You don't need to eat him, have a funeral, bury him and plant a tree on top, then your son will know where his chicken went.

Retraining is something you should want to do if you find it interesting, not something you should be forced to do to protect your family.

Roosters are easy to come by, there's people giving them away constantly.

Quote:
Well said.
If that bird was mine, he would not be seeing the next sunrise.
if it was a adorable puppy, that turned out to be an aggresive dog and attacked your kids, would you keep it and just hope for the best with some behavioural training?

To a 6 and 4 year old child, a rooster CAN be a VERY dangerous animal.
A pi$$ed off rooster has about the same mentality and intentions, as a Pitbull in attack mode, or a Yellowjacket Hornet that's ticked off and after you.
You already found that out when he was jumping your husband.
A rooster does not care about it's own well being when it enters into a fight. It WILL fight to it own death, when he thinks he needs to protect his hens.
That's why Cockfights and Dogfights continue to exist.

I've never heard of poodles or doves being used in a fighting pit.

so the only real question here is,
Would you rather make this decision Before, or After, your kids get hurt ?

I say Click,... Bang,... Thud

Last edited:
There are children involved which is exactly why I recommended getting rid of the rooster. My niece (who is now 30) was attacked by my fathers rooster when we were kids. He spurred her on the leg. She developed a staph infection and now has a big ugly scar on her leg the size of a silver dollar. SHe is also terrified of chickens. Having as many chickens as I do I have had my share of mean ones. Even my daughters pet rooster that she dressed in beads and took with her in the Christmas parade. He was sickly so she hand raised him. He turned mean as sin so I had to cull him from the flock. She knew the minute he attacked my leg what his fate was. Thankfully I had on my mucker boots or I would have had some serious problems. I have 4 kids and will not put them at jeopardy of being attacked.

I know it will be hard for the kids to see a "pet" go away but it's better than having said pet attack you and leave mental and physical scars that will last a life time. Odds are he will forget about this rooster in a few months.

I don't think you are ready to kill him, but I would put him in a cage by himself until you can decide what to do with him so he doesn't harm anyone.

Sorry that you are having to deal with this.... I know it can be tough.
sad.png

ETA: Your wellie probably doesn't have large spurs yet at 4 mths old but I can tell you that my mature large roosters have spurs over 6" long. My black Langshan had the longest ones I had ever seen. Thankfully he was also one of the most docile roo's I ever had too.

Last edited:
I have a scar on my leg from my kids "pet" roo, lucky it was me and not them(only cuz they ran away and I stayed to distract him), had they not left he would have easily tore them open....I'd cull
old.gif

What is working for my mean roo is ; every time I go out there I grab my long handled fishing net and if he even acts like he is gonna come after me I become the aggressor and go after him and catch him in the fishing net. Let him struggle for a minute then turn him loose. If he does not walk away I catch him again, wait a minute then release him. So every time I go out there I carry the fiching net and so far he is leaving me alone. Teach your young daughter to carry the fishing net when she goes out there and he might leave her alone.
Good luck
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom