16 x 12 Coop

Looks like a small delay of game... cleaned a path to the back wall and looked up to see this!

roof-01.jpg

I think a new roof is in order... I think I'll check on metal roofing this go around.

JT

We have a corrugated metal roof on our coop, with nothing under, there's no condensation, ever. Mine is 5' X 9" with lots of ventilation.

I have a metal carport you know the kind you see for sale at car lots etc and from time to time it "rains" on my stuff under the carport. I'm on the east side of a hill with lots of trees which shade the carport so the conditions are right from time to time. My metal deer feeder I had to put a flower pot with a bucket stuck in it with the bottoms removed to keep the corn from touching the walls of the feeder because of condensation inside the feeder. So it really depends on your local conditions if a metal roof will form condensation or not.

JT

Had some 8p sinkers backing out and one that put a hole in the shingle. Pulled all the protruding nails and scabbed a shingle over top of the damaged shingle to stop any more damage until I have time to do a permanent repair.

Inspecting the roof most of the ridge cap needs replacing as well as most of the west side. The east side looks fine so looks like I'll stick with a composite roof for now. I have one bundle of shingles left over from building the machine shop so add 4 more bundles and salt and pepper the leftovers from the machine shop and I'm good to go... Just need a dry weekend to tear it off and replace the bad section of plywood and shingle it back up. Hmm I seem to recall that I said I was done as a roofer when I finished the machine shop... so much for that idea.

JT

I'm back to thinking about this shed coop. I can put a shed roof enclosed run 8' x 16' on the west side and use 8' x 12' for the coop... I've got an idea for double gates across from each other so I open both and latch to the opposite side and it creates a path to the chicken yard... that might work. Just not wanting to loose what work I've done in the chicken yard and the existing run. Hmm, I could use the old coop for new arrivals or bantam's with them being able to see each other all day through the fence of the run. Lots to think about...

JT

Back
Top Bottom