16 x 12 Coop

Pics
This end is 'open'....
upload_2019-1-28_16-53-20.png

Work has progressed pretty slow on the conversion but today I moved the automagic coop control and door to the new coop. Got some of the wiring done for the outlets and working on the ventilation fans outlets.

The new door in position, the last thing I'll do is cut the opening after I build an overhang for it and the ramp.
coop-door-01.jpg

The Rasberry Pi 3 is behind the touch screen all built into one with a mount. This controls the lights and door for the coop. I know many will say a touch screen is over kill for a chicken coop but it's much easier to program than a bunch of buttons and switches and cheaper than a bunch of buttons and switches. My original coop uses switches and a small display but it's too small to see well so the 7" touch screen works well for both functions. Ignore the mess I just dumped everything on the table and have not sorted it all out.
coop-door-02.jpg

This has been running on my desk/table in the basement since sometime last year so I'm confidant in the code.

JT

Finally got a plan worked out for the roost fans for the summer time. Got them framed in and plugged in, just need to close off that area so the fans only suck air from the outside and air will go out the windows as it will follow the path of least resistance.
roost-fans-01.jpg roost-fans-02.jpg

My original plan was to mount a fan in front of the louver and did that but it didn't help any with the heat. With these two fans on low you can get a light breeze above the roost. At the rate I'm going the new Cinnamon Queens won't get to test it out till next summer.

I also looked at a air handler fan I had but it moved way too much air.

JT

Cool! (literally!)
How do you turn on and off and up and down with fans enclosed in the 'attic' area?
I bet you've got a controller for that;)

Mine just hangs in a window, have been thinking(for a couple years) about mounting it in a plywood panel to tighten up the intake. Might happen this summer.

Right now it's a switch on the wall, but easy enough to have a temperature sensor on the Raspberry Pi 3 to control the fans. I have a temperature sensor on the original coop that reports back temperature, humidity and atmospheric pressure.

The lights are controlled by the Raspberry Pi 3 as well as the door so the fans could be as well.

I wonder what criteria I'd use to turn the fans on to cool? Right now if it's hot and stuffy by feel I turn them on. I guess humidity + temperature would be a good place to start.

JT

Back
Top Bottom